Grand Haven State Park Named One Of Great Lakes’ Top Beaches
Grand Haven State Park’s beach is getting national attention for being one of the best beaches of the Great Lakes. ‘Dr. Beach’ (aka Florida Southern University coastal expert Stephen P. Leatherman) annually rates the best beaches in the country and for the first time he has created a top 5 list of Great Lakes beaches. ‘Dr. Beach’s’ list has been picked up by many national news sources including USA Today.
Here’s the top 5 from drbeach.org:
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Lake Michigan, Michigan.
- Presque Isle State Park, Lake Erie, Pennsylvania.
- Sand Point Beach, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Lake Superior, Michigan.
- Bayfield Main Beach, Lake Huron, Ontario, Canada.
- Oak Street Beach, Lake Michigan, Chicago, Illinois.
‘Dr. Beach’ gave honorable mention to Grand Haven State Park, he says:
There is camping on the beach and so much to do in the Grand Haven area. A picturesque red lighthouse sits atop the inlet jetty for recreational boaters. Golfing is big here, and swimming is a pleasure at this beach and the string of nearby beaches.
The list is bringing some welcome attention to Grand Haven and the Great Lakes beaches in general. What do you think of the top 5?