Kids are Choking on Their Fidget Spinners
It’s the hottest toy on the market right now but now parents are stepping forward warning other parents to be careful because it could lead to a choking hazard.
WXYZ Detroit reports that a 3-year-old boy from Dearborn was taken to the hospital on Wednesday after he swallowed a piece of the fidget spinner. The boy had complained of a stomach ache and his mom noticed that a metal piece was missing from the gadget. Thankfully, X-ray’s determined that the boy wouldn’t need surgery.
— WXYZ Detroit (@wxyzdetroit) May 18, 2017
The mom told WXYZ in a phone interview that she has since thrown out all of the spinners that she had in her home and advised all mothers to be aware.
This comes one day after a 10-year-old girl in Texas HAD to undergo surgery after choking on a part. Her mom shared the terrifying situation on her Facebook page and sent out a “caution” to other parents.
Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.”
This isn’t the first time the fidget spinner is getting a bad rep. After its popularity spiked, some schools started banning the toys. If you’d even consider the fidget spinner a toy.