Your daily dose of WHATEVER!
Is Robert Pattinson Nailing Elvis Presley’s Granddaughter?
ROBERT PATTINSON is reportedly nailing model (slash) actress RILEY KEOUGH. She’s the daughter of LISA MARIE PRESLEY . . . and thus the granddaughter of ELVIS. (Riley is 24 . . . Rob is 27.
A source says, quote, “They’re inseparable. Rob loves the fact that Riley is Elvis’s granddaughter . . . that’s true rock and roll royalty in his eyes.”
So how did these two meet? Through KRISTEN STEWART. And she’s not happy about it. Riley’s first movie was “The Runaways”, with Kristen, and she also attended Kristen’s birthday party back in April.
Check Out Some Pictures of What the Royal Baby Might Look Like
Several geneticists, artists and / or Photoshop jockeys have released pictures of what PRINCE WILLIAM and KATE MIDDLETON’S baby might look like. Of course, since they haven’t revealed the gender, there are both male and female versions.
They did the kid at a few different ages, from a baby to a toddler to a young adult.
Is It Cool to Wear a Black Wedding Dress? Avril Lavigne Did
When AVRIL LAVIGNE married NICKELBACK singer CHAD KROEGER at a Castle in France on Monday, she wore a BLACK DRESS. In her defense, it IS her second marriage.
Jennifer Aniston Ate a Big Mac . . . And It Made Her Sick
It’s a fact that when you get in the habit of eating healthy food, your body loses its tolerance for CRAP. JENNIFER ANISTON found that out when she and fiancé JUSTIN THEROUX hit McDonald’s recently.
She says, quote, “Justin and I were on a road trip and we were so hungry. The only thing around was McDonald’s. I think I ordered a Big Mac. Wow, my body did not react well to that! It was like putting gasoline in a purified system.
“I am always trying to eat organic and natural foods, so that just made my stomach turn and made me feel terrible. And I think what you put in your body, as well as stress, is reflected in the quality of your skin.”
MATTHEW PERRY opens up about his struggles with addiction in the new issue of “People” magazine.
He says, quote, “I was on ‘Friends’ from age 24 to 34. I was in the white-hot flame of fame . . . From an outsider’s perspective, it would seem like I had it all. It was actually a very lonely time for me because I was suffering from alcoholism.”
He adds, quote, “I was never high at work. I was painfully hung over. Then eventually things got so bad I couldn’t hide it and everybody knew.”
“The Lone Ranger” and “Despicable Me 2″ Hit Theaters This Week
1. “The Lone Ranger” (PG-13)
Disney’s new take on the “Lone Ranger” stars Armie Hammer from “The Social Network” as the Lone Ranger, and Johnny Depp as Tonto.
Tonto’s a Comanche warrior looking for revenge against the men who attacked his village, and got him cast out from his tribe.
He finds a lawyer who was just deputized as a Texas Ranger, and is the sole survivor of an ambush . . . and helps transform him into a masked hero.
Helena Bonham Carter plays a ONE-LEGGED MADAM with a double-barreled SHOTGUN hidden in her peg-leg, who decides to help them . . . after she finds out that they’re going after the guy who ATE her leg.
“Despicable Me 2″ (PG) Trailer and an Inside Look at the movie
Steve Carell’s character Gru is kidnapped by a group called the Anti-Villain League, who want him to save the world from a bad guy voiced by Benjamin Bratt. The chick who kidnaps him is voiced by Kristen Wiig, and she becomes his crime-fighting partner.
“iCarly’s” Miranda Cosgrove is Gru’s oldest daughter, and Russell Brand is also back as Gru’s henchman Dr. Nefario.
And now, some limited releases you may or may not care about:
“Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain” is a concert documentary that follows comedian Kevin Hart on last year’s sold out comedy tour.
“Stuck in Love” stars Greg Kinnear as a guy obsessed with his ex, Jennifer Connelly, even though he’s nailing Kristen Bell. Lily Collins plays his daughter, and “Percy’s Jackson’s” Logan Lerman is the boy she falls for.
“The Way Way Back” is about a 14-year-old’s summer vacation with his mom and her a-hole boyfriend, played by Toni Collette and Steve Carell. To get away from them he secretly takes a job working for Sam Rockwell, the owner of a water park who befriends him.
“Absence” is a sci-fi horror movie about a woman whose pregnancy disappears overnight, close to the end of her term.
Next Week’s Theatrical Releases, CDs, DVDs, and Games
Next Friday’s Theatrical Releases:
• “Pacific Rim” . . . Charlie Hunnam from “Sons of Anarchy” fighting giant monsters.
• “Grown Ups 2″ . . . Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, and David Spade.
Next Tuesday’s CD Releases:
• “Game of Thrones: Music from the HBO Series”
• “Made in Britain/The World Record”, Whitesnake
• “Hardcore”, Devo
• “Ciara”, Ciara
• “Bula Quo!”, Status Quo
• “Don’t Look Down”, Skylar Grey
• “The Weight of Your Love”, The Editors
• “International Takeover”, Pitbull and Friends
• “The Calm After…”, Travis Tritt
Next Tuesday’s DVD Releases:
• “The Host” . . . starring Saoirse Ronan.
• “Admission” . . . starring Tina Fey and Paul Rudd.
• “Spring Breakers” . . . with Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, and James Franco.
• “Tyler Perry’s Temptation” . . . starring Jurnee Smollett-Bell.
Next Tuesday’s Game Releases:
• “NCAA Football 14″ on the Xbox360 and PS3
• “Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection” on the Xbox360 and PS3
The 21 Best Movie Sidekicks
In honor of “The Lone Ranger”, “Rolling Stone” has put together a list of the 21 Best Movie Sidekicks. Here they are in no particular order . . .
1. Chewbacca from “Star Wars”
2. Samwise Gamgee from “Lord of the Rings”
3. Watson from “Sherlock Holmes”
4. Gromit from “Wallace and Gromit”
5. Short Round from “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”
6. Goose from “Top Gun” . . . who was played by Anthony Edwards
7. Cledus Snow from “Smokey and the Bandit” . . . played by Jerry Reed
8. Sam from “Casablanca”
9. Mini-Me from “Austin Powers”
10. Passepartout from “Around the World in 80 Days” . . . He was played by Jackie Chan in the 2004 version.
11. Kato from “The Green Hornet”
12. Hit Girl from “Kick-Ass”
13. Robin from “Batman”
14. Garth from “Wayne’s World”
15. Silent Bob of Jay and Silent Bob (They’re characters in all of Kevin Smith’s movies . . . and Smith himself plays Silent Bob.)
16. Cal Naughton from “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby” . . . who’s played by John C. Reilly
17. James “Rhodey” Rhodes from “Iron Man” . . . who was originally played by Terrence Howard, and by Don Cheadle since the second movie.
18. Pedro from “Napoleon Dynamite”
19. Cameron Frye from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”
20. Igor from “Frankenstein”
21. Donkey from “Shrek”
The Premiere of Stephen King’s “Under the Dome” Was Last Week’s #1 Show
The series premiere of “Under the Dome” was last week’s #1 show with 13.5 million viewers. If you haven’t heard about it, it’s a sci-fi horror series based on a STEPHEN KING book with the same name.
“America’s Got Talent” the runner-up with 10.2 million viewers . . . and Game 6 of the Stanley Cup took 4th place with 8.2 million viewers. It was the most-watched Cup Final since they started keeping track in 1994. Here are the Top 10 shows overall last week.
1. The series premiere of “Under the Dome”, CBS, 13.5 million viewers
2. Last Tuesday’s “America’s Got Talent”, NBC, 10.2 million viewers
3. A repeat of “NCIS”, CBS, 8.4 million viewers
4. Game 6 of the “Stanley Cup Final”, NBC, 8.2 million viewers (The Chicago Blackhawks came from behind in the last two minutes of regulation to defeat the Boston Bruins 3 to 2 and clinch the Stanley Cup.)
5. A repeat of “Big Bang Theory”, CBS, 8.1 million viewers
6. “The BET Awards”, BET, 7.8 million viewers
7. The “Big Bang Theory” 9:30 P.M. special, CBS, 7.4 million viewers
8. A repeat of “60 Minutes”, CBS, 7.2 million viewers
9. The “Big Bang Theory” 9:00 P.M. special, CBS, 6.7 million viewers
10. “The Bachelorette”, ABC, 6.6 million viewers
The Final “Dexter” Season Premiere Was the Show’s Best Ever . . . Plus, Ratings for Last Week’s Other Big Premieres:
Here’s how a few other big shows did in the ratings last week.
The 15th season premiere of “Big Brother” had 6.7 million viewers on CBS.
The 4th season premiere of “Rizzoli & Isles” grabbed 6.6 million viewers on TNT.
The 2nd season premiere of Eric McCormack’s “Perception” attracted 4 million viewers for TNT.
The 8th and final season premiere of “Dexter” pulled in 2.5 million viewers on Showtime, which is the series’ highest-rated premiere ever.
The 2nd season premiere of MTV’s “Catfish: The TV Show” had 2.5 million viewers. (This is the show where people meet someone they’ve been talking to on the Internet, and find out the person’s been lying about their identity.)
And Showtime’s “Ray Donovan” had the network’s highest-rated original series premiere ever with 1.4 million viewers. (The show stars Liev Schreiber as a “fixer” for the rich and famous, and Jon Voight as his ex-con father.)
Wednesday TV Reminders:
• “Wimbledon” [Men’s Quarterfinals] . . . 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. Eastern on ESPN.
• “Big Brother 15″ [Eviction Night] . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on CBS.
• “MasterChef” . . . 8:00 to 10:00 P.M. on Fox. Season 3 winner Christine Ha . . . the first ever legally-blind chef . . . stops by to surprise the remaining contestants.
• “Hot in Cleveland” . . . 10:00 to 10:30 P.M. on TV Land. A look behind-the-scenes at the live season premiere episode.
• “Chef Roblé & Co” . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on Bravo. New York Knicks center Tyson Chandler requests help for a catered birthday dinner.
Early Morning Show Guests:
• “The Today Show” – Martha Stewart.
• “Good Morning America” – “Extreme Weight Loss” fitness trainer Chris Powell and chef Rocco DiSpirito.
• “CBS This Morning” – Chef Myron Mixon (“BBQ Pitmasters”).
Mid-Morning Show Guests:
• “Live! With Kelly and Michael” – Jane Lynch (“Glee”) and Nicole Murphy (“Hollywood Exes”).
• “The View” – Comedian Kevin Hart (“This Is the End”). Ne-Yo co-hosts. (REPEAT)
• “Rachael Ray” – Tips for getting your body beach-ready without going under the knife.
This Afternoon On TV:
• “Ellen DeGeneres” – Steve Carell (“Despicable Me 2″) and magician Justin Flom. (REPEAT)
• “The Talk” – Music Guests: Gretchen Wilson and The Wanted. Carolina Bermudez (“Live From the Couch”) co-hosts. (REPEAT)
• “Katie Couric” – Roseanne, Tim McGraw, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Ne-Yo, and the cast of “Pawn Stars”. (REPEAT)
• “Steve Harvey” – Olivia Blois Sharpe (“Jerseylicious”). (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Phil” – “Elder Abuse”. Advice on how to keep your elderly loved ones safe. (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Oz Show” – Dr. Oz speaks with a man who believes you can diagnose and treat your own health problems. (REPEAT)
• “Wendy Williams” – Kevin Hart (“Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain”) and Nicole Murphy (“Hollywood Exes”).
• “Anderson Live” – Al Roker (“Never Goin’ Back: Winning the Weight-Loss Battle For Good”), “Chelsea Lately’s” Heather McDonald, and “Shark Tank’s” Barbara Corcoran. (REPEAT)
Tonight’s Late Night Talk Shows:
• “Letterman” – Neil Patrick Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) and Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan. Music Guest: Frank Turner. (REPEAT)
• “Jimmy Kimmel” – Miranda Cosgrove (“Despicable Me 2″) and Michael C. Hall (“Dexter”). Music Guest: ZZ Ward.
• “The Tonight Show” – Jamie Foxx (“White House Down”), former tennis star Jimmy Connors (“The Outsider: A Memoir”) and “Glee’s” Matthew Morrison. (REPEAT)
• “Craig Ferguson” – Zac Efron and author Anna Quindlen (“Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake”). (REPEAT)
• “Jimmy Fallon” – Jennette McCurdy (“Sam & Cat”), Governor Chris Christie, “The Chew’s” chef Mario Batali with his sons Benno and Leo for their cookbook “The Batali Brothers Cookbook”. (REPEAT)
• “Carson Daly” – Todd Ray (AMC’s “Freakshow”) and the guys from the YouTube show Kamikaze Kitchen. Music Guests: Niki and the Dove. (REPEAT)
• “Conan” – Russell Brand and comedian Jimmy Pardo. Music Guest: Beth Hart. (REPEAT)
• “Jon Stewart” – Questlove for his new book “Mo’ Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove”. (REPEAT)
• “The Colbert Report” – Bill Moyers (“Moyers & Company”). (REPEAT)
• “Chelsea Lately” – Stephen Moyer (“True Blood”).
Women in Their 20s Have Bigger Breasts Than Ever Before
If you’re concerned about the direction our country is headed, we have some FANTASTIC news that should make you feel MUCH better about our future this Fourth of July.
Women who are currently in their mid-20s have the LARGEST BREASTS EVER.
According to data about bra sales from Playtex, there’s been an increase in sales of large-sized bras . . . and most of it has come from young adults.
Women in their 20s like their bras to be stylish and come in a variety of colors . . . and they need them to have more STORAGE SPACE.
Last year, Playtex sold 17% more bras with a bust measurement of 44 or above compared to the previous year.
Cup sizes are also on the increase. Sales of D and Double-D cup-sized bras were up 2% over the previous year. (USA Today)
The 10 Women’s Shoes Men Think Are Ugliest
According to a new survey, 79% of men say they actually pay attention to what shoes their wife or girlfriend wears . . . and 59% think she has BAD TASTE in footwear. Here are the women’s shoes men think are UGLIEST:
1. 71% of men hate wedge heels.
2. 67% don’t like Uggs.
3. 63% don’t like Crocs.
4. 58% hate platform shoes.
5. 55% don’t like flip flops.
6. 49% don’t like moccasins.
7. 42% hate mary janes. Those are the low-cut shoes with a strap.
8. 37% hate ballet flats.
9. 34% don’t like kitten heels. Those are the ones with the short curvy heel.
10. 25% hate sneakers. (Daily Mail)
The Average Man Uses $350 Worth of Women’s Beauty Products a Year
According to a new survey by a cosmetics website called ESensual.com, men use $350 worth of their wife or girlfriend’s beauty products a year.
46% of women say that their partner uses their cosmetics on a daily basis . . . with moisturizer being the most common thing to borrow. Two out of three men use their girlfriend or wife’s moisturizer at least some of the time.
One in five women said that their husband or boyfriend tries to SNEAK some of her beauty products without her knowing.
Women say men borrow their stuff because they’re too lazy or too embarrassed to buy their own. And that’s a problem, because 42% of women say that their men tend to borrow the most EXPENSIVE products.
Guys also don’t know how much to use. One in four women complain that when a guy borrows her stuff, he uses too much. (Huffington Post)
The 10 Snobbiest Cities in America
According to a survey by “Travel and Leisure” magazine, these are the 10 SNOBBIEST cities in America
1. San Francisco.
2. New York.
4. Minneapolis / St. Paul.
5. A tie between Seattle and Santa Fe, New Mexico.
8. Providence, Rhode Island.
9. Washington, D.C.
10. Charleston, South Carolina.
The Top 10 Reasons People Unfriend You on Facebook
According to a new survey, here are the ten things most likely to get you UNFRIENDED on Facebook.
1. BRAGGING too much. 68% of people have unfriended someone for it.
2. Sappy status updates about your love life . . . 61%.
3. Because you never see each other in REAL LIFE . . . 57%.
4. Too many status updates . . . 49%.
5. Annoying status updates . . . 41%.
6. Inappropriate photos . . . 34%.
7. Sharing too much personal information in your status updates . . . 27%.
8. Bad language . . . 22%.
9. Friending THEIR friends . . . 14%.
10. Vacation photos that make other people jealous . . . 11%.
The Top Five Features That Are Disappearing from Cars
Cars are getting more and more crazy features . . . like rear view cameras and full-on computer systems in their dashboards.
But according to “Fortune” magazine, they’re also LOSING a lot of stuff. Check out the top five features that are disappearing from cars.
1. Keys. Cars with keyless entry and “start” buttons are beginning to dominate the market.
2. Crank windows. Unless it’s the cheapest one on the lot, pretty much any NEW car has automatic windows now.
3. Long antennas. They’ve been replaced by shorter, more compact antennas that can also handle GPS and telephone signals.
4. Manual transmissions. They’ll never go away COMPLETELY. But more people are buying automatics because the price difference isn’t as big as it used to be.
5. Emergency brakes. They’re being replaced by an electronic feature called “hill hold,” which automatically sets a brake when you’re stopped on a hill, then releases it when you touch the gas. (CNN)
Are Human Head Transplants Now Possible?
You’ve probably heard the story about how Walt Disney had his head frozen when he died . . . so he could be reanimated once it was medically possible.
Well, that’s actually just a RUMOR. In reality, Walt was cremated shortly after his death in 1966. But maybe he SHOULD have opted for the frozen head thing . . . because it looks like we’re getting closer to making that a reality.
A neuroscientist in Italy claims transplanting the head of a LIVING person is now possible. In fact, scientists have been trying it on animals since the 1970s, when a monkey’s head was successfully transplanted onto the body of another monkey.
The monkey survived for a few days . . . but was paralyzed, because there was no way to connect the head to the body’s spinal cord. Now Dr. Sergio Canavero says that IS possible.
To do it, they’d have to use an extremely sharp surgical knife to cut the spinal cord, then immediately attach the head by fusing the two cords together with a type of plastic called “polyethylene glycol” (pronounced poly-etha-leen gly-call).
It’s been used to reconnect spinal cords in dogs, and according to Canavero, it could work on people too.
Obviously it’s a lot harder than it sounds though, because you’d also have to reconnect bones, tissue, and millions of nerves.
But the idea is, you could potentially give a paralyzed person a whole new body . . . although we’re obviously a ways off from that. (Plus, you’d think that by the time we can put a new HEAD on someone, we’ll be able to fix a spinal cord injury.)
The surgery also wouldn’t be cheap. According to Canavero, it would probably run you at least $13 MILLION. And we’re even further away from putting a cryogenically FROZEN head on another body.
A Guy Is Hoping to Set a World Record . . . by Running in 130-Degree Heat Wearing a Darth Vader Costume
If you think it’s hot out, try THIS: Every year in Death Valley, California, there’s something called the Badwater Ultramarathon, where a bunch of crazy people run 135 MILES in temperatures that top 120 DEGREES. (Read more about it here. This year’s event starts July 15th.)
It’s an extreme sport called “heat running.” But apparently running in extreme heat gets boring after a while. So a guy named Jonathan Rice added a new element.
For the past few years, he’s been going to Death Valley and running one-mile sprints in a full DARTH VADER costume.
He calls it the “Darth Valley Challenge,” and it’s actually becoming POPULAR. Now other runners are showing up dressed as “Star Wars” characters . . . including Princess Leia, R2-D2, Chewbacca, and Yoda.
This year, Rice did it in 129-degree heat, and clocked in at six minutes, thirty-six seconds. That’s about 20 seconds shy of his personal record. But he was specifically trying to set a world record for the “hottest verified run.”
The official temperature when he started his run was 129 degrees. He’s still waiting to hear back from Guinness. (TimesCall.com)
Officials in Michigan Issued a Health Warning After a Kids’ Water Park Started Spewing Sewage
Everyone knows water parks aren’t the cleanest places on Earth. But officials in northern Michigan had to issue a HEALTH WARNING on Sunday, because of a children’s water park in Traverse City. (About 140 miles north of Grand Rapids.)
At some point over the weekend, a backup in the sewage system caused the park’s attractions to start spewing contaminated SEWAGE WATER.
And no one realized it until Sunday morning, when a worker noticed that the water in the park’s reservoir was cloudy . . . and had, quote, “FLOATING DEBRIS” in it.
The county’s environmental health director said that as far as he knows, no one has gotten sick from it yet . . . but anyone who might have come in contact with the water should see a doctor if they start feeling sick to their stomach.
He added that they should also take a thorough SHOWER.
(MLive / Record-Eagle)
An Apartment Complex Caught Fire After Someone Put Their Cigarette Out in a Potted Plant?
An apartment complex in Omaha caught fire on Friday . . . after one of the tenants put out their cigarette in a plant on their balcony that had POTTING SOIL in it.
According to the assistant fire chief, most people don’t realize that some types of potting soil are actually FLAMMABLE. Apparently, this type of accident happens more often than you’d think.
According to another official, the complex will most likely have to be torn down. Eighty people were evacuated, and one was treated for smoke inhalation. Luckily no one was killed.
Remember the Woman in Bangladesh Who Survived for 17 Days Under a Factory That Collapsed? It Might Have Been a Hoax
Back in April, a garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, killing over 1,000 people. And more than two weeks after the collapse, workers rescued a 19-year-old woman named Reshma Begum (pronounced “Bay-goom”). She had no serious injuries . . . despite spending 17 DAYS under the rubble.
She said she was able to do it because she’d skipped breakfast that morning, and was carrying some biscuits and bottles of water with her . . . which she rationed for more than two weeks.
It’s a pretty incredible story. And now, someone’s accusing her of MAKING THE WHOLE THING UP.
One of her co-workers . . . who wants to remain anonymous . . . claims he and Reshma BOTH survived the collapse the day it happened. And he knows, because they walked away from it TOGETHER.
He says the next time he saw Reshma was 17 days later on the news, when she was supposedly ‘rescued’ on May 10th. It’s not clear why he decided to wait until now to call her out on it.
Meanwhile, Reshma has scored a new job out of the whole ordeal. She’s working at a five-star hotel making $450 a month . . . which is about seven times more than she was making at the factory. (NY Post)
TOM CRUISE – 51 (Back on the market again, thanks to Katie Holmes.)
Olivia Munn – 33 (Sexy part-Asian actress. She shows her funbags in “Magic Mike”, and she’s on HBO’s cable news drama “The Newsroom”.)
Kevin Hart – 33
Patrick Wilson – 40 (Raoul in the movie version of “Phantom of the Opera” and Nite Owl in “Watchmen”. He also played a pedophile who gets his comeuppance at the hands of “Juno” minx Ellen Page in the 2005 thriller “Hard Candy”. Awesome flick. Rent it today.)
Andrea Barber – 37 (Kimmy Gibler on “Full House”.)
Mimi Miyagi – 40 (Filipino mattress actress who enjoys keister-sex and has starred in 101 fine films, including . . . “Hells Anals”, “Moo Goo Gai Poon”, “Wong Side of Town” AND “Amber the Lesbian Queefer”!)
Julian Assange – 42 (Document leaking Aussie editor of Wikileaks.)
Shawnee Smith – 43 (The jigsaw killer’s girlfriend, Amanda, in the “Saw” movies . . . AND the heroine in the very awesome ’80s remake of “The Blob”! She’s also in Charlie Sheen’s show “Anger Management”.)
Yeardley Smith – 49 (Her name is pronounced “YARD-ly”. She’s the well-paid voice of Lisa Simpson on “The Simpsons”.)
Thomas Gibson – 51 (He’s the uptight boss on “Criminal Minds” . . . but to me he’ll always be Dharma’s uptight husband on the sitcom “Dharma & Greg”.)
Vince Clarke – 53 (Dazzling keyboardist from Depeche Mode, Erasure AND Yaz.)
Aaron Tippin – 55 (Turn on a country station over the 4th of July holiday and you WILL hear his song “Where the Stars and the Stripes and the Eagle Fly”.)
Montel Williams – 57 (Multiple Sclerosis-suffering talk show stud. The reefer helps make the shakes go away.)
Jan Smithers – 64 (She was oddly sexy Bailey Quarters on “WKRP In Cincinnati”. She was also married to James Brolin for nine years. They divorced in 1995. Brolin married the much wealthier Barbra Streisand three years later.)
Betty Buckley – 66 (Abby on “Eight Is Enough”. She was also in that M. Night Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong movie, “The Happening”.)
Dave Barry – 66 (Humor columnist.)
Kurtwood Smith – 70 (Red on “That ’70s Show”. Long before that, he was the very bad-ass Clarence J. Boddicker in 1987’s “Robocop”.)
LAURA BRANIGAN – (1957 – 2004) (SINGER OF 1982’s MEGA-HIT “GLORIA”!) (She died from a brain aneurysm that she didn’t know she had.)
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 1 day until Independence Day
• 23 days until “The Wolverine”
• 58 days until Labor Day Weekend
• 81 days until the Emmy Awards
• 1,297 days left of “Hope and Change”
150 years ago . . . in 1863 – The three-day Civil War BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG (Pennsylvania) ended in a major victory for the North, as Confederate troops retreated.
38 years ago . . . in 1975 – THREE DOG NIGHT superstar CHUCK NEGRON was arrested for possession of the Bolivian Marching Powder. And then 22 years later . . . came LINDSAY LOHAN.
32 years ago . . . in 1981 – “The Cannonball Run” was released, starring Burt Reynolds, Farrah Fawcett, Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Farr, Dom Deluise AND . . . as “Subaru Driver #1″, JACKIE CHAN.
21 years ago . . . in 1992 – TED KENNEDY married his second wife, a chubby-chaser named Victoria Anne Reggie. (Ted died of brain cancer in 2009. Victoria did hang in long enough to be his widow.)
20 years ago . . . in 1993 – ALISON KRAUSS joined the Grand Ole Opry. Now she’s touring with ROBERT PLANT in support of last year’s “Raising Sand” album.
17 years ago . . . in 1996 – “Independence Day” was released, starring WILL SMITH in a real stretch of a role . . . as a SMART ALECKY TOKEN BLACK MAN.
11 years ago . . . in 2002 – SHARON OSBOURNE had surgery on her cancerous colon. She did not die.
7 years ago . . . in 2006 – LIL’ KIM was released from the Philadelphia Federal Detention Center . . . after serving almost 10 months for perjury.
A GOOD DAY TO DIE???
44 years ago . . . in 1969 – BRIAN JONES of the ROLLING STONES drowned in his swimming pool. The coroner cited high levels of alcohol and barbiturates in his blood. Brian Jones was only 26.
42 years ago . . . in 1971 – JIM MORRISON died from heart failure in his bathtub in Paris. He was 27.
24 years ago . . . in 1989 – JIM BACKUS died of pneumonia at the age of 76. (He WAS Thurston Howell the Third on “Gilligan’s Island” AND the voice of MR. MAGOO in the cartoons.)
20 years ago . . . in 1993 – Hall of Fame pitcher DON DRYSDALE died of a heart attack at age 56.
20 years ago . . . in 1993 – The last-surviving member of THE THREE STOOGES . . . JOE DE RITA, who was known in the movies as Curly-Joe . . . died of pneumonia at the age of 83.
One year ago . . . in 2012 – ANDY GRIFFITH died at the 87 from a heart attack in his home in North Carolina.