Your daily dose of WHATEVER!
Jessica Simpson Had Her Baby
JESSICA SIMPSON gave birth to a baby boy on Sunday. This is the second child for Jessica and her fiancé ERIC JOHNSON. They named him ACE KNUTE JOHNSON.
And by the way . . . the “Knute” isn’t in honor of NFL legend KNUTE ROCKNE. It was Eric’s grandfather’s name.
Jessica and Eric also have a daughter named Maxwell, who just turned a year old in May.
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Are Now Holding Hands in Public
JOHNNY DEPP and AMBER HEARD have spent a lot of time denying they’re a couple. But apparently that’s over, because she went with him to the “Lone Ranger” premiere in Moscow, and the two of them held hands right out in public.
Married Women Want to Nail Channing Tatum . . . Guys Want a Piece of Jessica Alba
According to a new survey by WeTV, women who’ve been married less than seven years would love to nail CHANNING TATUM if they were given a “hall pass” from their marriage . . . while guys want a piece of JESSICA ALBA.
Channing got 29% of the vote, followed by RYAN GOSLING with 20%. Adam Levine and Leonardo DiCaprio tied for third with 17%.
Jessica Alba got 34% of the vote in the guys’ poll, followed by MILA KUNIS with 32%. Megan Fox and Kate Upton tied for third with 28% each.
People also named JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE and JESSICA BIEL the couple most likely to be together more than five years . . . and ALEC BALDWIN and his wife Hilaria the most likely to get divorced.
Justin Bieber Wants to Get Married and Have a Family Young
SELENA GOMEZ, you blew it. This could have been you: JUSTIN BIEBER tells “Us Weekly” that he wants to get married and start a family YOUNG.
He adds, quote, “My grandparents Bruce and Diane Dale [are my relationship role models. They love each other so much, after so many years! When I’m their age, I want to be as in love with my wife as my grandfather is with his.”
Marvin Gaye’s Son Has Sex to His Dad’s Music
Decades after MARVIN GAYE’S death, people are still having sex to his music . . . including his SON, MARVIN GAYE THE THIRD. TMZ caught up with Marvin, his wife and their son . . . and both parents admitted to it.
Then Marvin pointed to his son as EVIDENCE. He added, quote, “You haven’t made whoopee right unless you made it to Marvin Gaye.”
Pics of the rich and famous…..
GWEN STEFANI flashed her abs while she was walking around Long Beach, California on Saturday. And at 43, she still looks OUTSTANDING. (Daily News)
ADELE posted a photo to Instagram where she’s standing in front of a replica of Michelangelo’s “David” statue . . . and his JUNK is strategically placed directly above her left shoulder. It was removed almost immediately, but Britain’s “The Sun” posted a censored version. (Check it out on The Sun’s website.)
RUMOR WILLIS hit up a club in West Hollywood on Saturday night, and wore a skirt that was pretty much SEE-THROUGH. (Daily Mail)
KURT RUSSELL and GOLDIE HAWN did some speed boating in Greece on Saturday and they both flashed some skin. I’ll let you decide who looks better these days. He’s 62. She’s 67. (Daily Mail)
MARIO LOPEZ went shirtless while vacationing with his heavily pregnant wife in Cancun. He’s almost 40, but still doesn’t look it. (E! Online)
COURTNEY STODDEN will use just about anything as an excuse to take bikini pictures. Most recently, it was the Supreme Court’s gay rights decision. She wrapped her newly installed fake cans in a rainbow-colored bikini, and took a stroll through West Hollywood. (TooFab)
Nick Stahl Has Been Arrested For Allegedly Using Meth
“Terminator 3″ star NICK STAHL has been arrested once again . . . this time for allegedly using METH.
At about 5:30 Friday morning, police were doing a probation search at a motel in Hollywood. They found one guy they were looking for. He was in a room with three other people. One of those people was Stahl.
They also found meth. So Nick was arrested for possession.
Jennifer Lopez Has Apologized After Performing for a Human Rights Violator
JENNIFER LOPEZ performed at a birthday for the president of Turkmenistan on Saturday. (He has the impossible-to-pronounce name Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov. Pronounced “Gur-bahn-gully Ber-duh-me-kuh-med-ov.”)
And now she’s catching heat for it because he’s a HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATOR, and his regime has been listed as one of the most oppressive in the WORLD. Also, everything from Facebook and Twitter to being openly gay are outlawed there.
Of course, you could find all that out in five minutes with Google. But apparently everyone in J.Lo’s camp is terrible at Googling stuff.
Her rep released a statement yesterday saying, quote, “The event was vetted by her representatives. Had there been knowledge of human rights issues of any kind, Jennifer would not have attended.”
They also pointed out that the concert was, quote, “not a government sponsored event or political in nature.” And it was actually paid for by the China National Petroleum Corporation. (Which still doesn’t have a great ring to it.)
In addition to normal concert stuff, she also sang “Happy Birthday” . . . along with the line, “Happy birthday, Mr. President” . . . just not nearly as oversexed as Marilyn Monroe did it. According to her rep, it was a last-minute request.
The human rights thing is ironic because Jen has been involved with Amnesty International projects in Mexico that aim to PREVENT violence, specifically against women.
The head of the Human Rights Foundation had this to say. Quote, “Lopez obviously has the right to earn a living performing for the dictator of her choice . . . But her actions utterly destroy the carefully-crafted message she has cultivated.”
It’s not clear how much Jen got for the gig, but it was reportedly more than a million bucks.
Yesterday, MIA FARROW . . . who’s been a longtime human rights activist . . . Tweeted, quote, “J.Lo says she wouldn’t have sung for [him] if she’d known about his human rights record. Will she donate the [money]?”
So far, there’s no word on that from Jen’s camp. (Here’s a video from the concert. She sings a little bit of “Happy Birthday” at :55.)
More Companies Are Jumping Off the Paula Deen Train . . . Including Her Publisher
Remember that upcoming book by PAULA DEEN that rocketed to #1 on Amazon’s bestseller list? Well, it might not come out after all.
Random House is the latest company to jump off the Paula Deen train. They’ve decided not to publish “Paula Deen’s New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up” . . . which was supposed to come out in October.
There’s no word yet if another publisher will pick it up.
Meanwhile, Paula has lost several more huge business partners . . . including JC Penney, Kmart and Sears.
According to one estimate, Paula has lost as much as $12.5 million in earnings over the N-word controversy.
Could Paula Deen Be on “Dancing With the Stars”?
There’s a rumor going around that ABC is after PAULA DEEN to do “Dancing With the Stars”.
It wouldn’t be the first time they asked. Back in 2010, Paula said, quote, “They did ask me and I said no. Fat girls don’t look good sweating.”
“White House Down” and “The Heat” Couldn’t Beat “Monsters University”
“Monsters University” made another $46.2 million at the box office and was the #1 movie for a second week in a row. It made about $6 million more than the weekend’s #2 movie, the SANDRA BULLOCK–MELISSA MCCARTHY cop comedy “The Heat”.
Meanwhile, “White House Down” underperformed with just $25.7 million in 4th place. Which doesn’t sound that bad until you consider it cost $150 million to make.
Here are this week’s Top 10 movies:
1. “Monsters University”, $46.2 million. Up to $171 million in its 2nd week.
2. (NEW) “The Heat”, $40 million.
3. “World War Z”, $29.8 million. Up to $124 million in its 2nd week.
4. (NEW) “White House Down”, $25.7 million.
5. “Man of Steel”, $20.8 million. Up to $249 million in its 3rd week.
6. “This Is the End”, $8.7 million. Up to $74.7 million in its 3rd week.
7. “Now You See Me”, $5.5 million. Up to $105 million in its 5th week.
8. “Fast & Furious 6″, $2.4 million. Up to $233 million in its 6th week.
9. “Star Trek Into Darkness”, $2 million. Up to $221 million in its 7th week.
10. “The Internship”, $1.4 million. Up to $41.7 million in its 4th week.
Monday TV Reminders:
• “American Ninja Warrior” [5th Season Premiere] . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on NBC.
• “The Goodwin Games” [Series Finale] . . . 8:30 to 9:00 P.M. on Fox.
• “Bizarre Foods America” [4th Season Premiere] . . . 9:00 to 10:00 P.M. on the Travel Channel.
• “Gideon’s Army” . . . 9:00 to 10:30 P.M. on HBO. A documentary following three young public defenders working in the Deep South.
• “Siberia” [Series Premiere] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on NBC. Set in the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska, 16 contestants fight to survive when they realize that the strange occurrences taking place are not part of the show.
• “Below Deck” [Series Premiere] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on Bravo. A reality series about crew members catering to the needs of the rich aboard their yachts.
• “Blood, Lies & Alibis” [2nd Season Premiere] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on ID.
• “Felt” [1st Season Finale] . . . 10:00 to 10:30 P.M. on Logo.
Early Morning Show Guests:
• “The Today Show” – Miranda Cosgrove (“Despicable Me 2″) and Matt Iseman (host of G4 and NBC’s “American Ninja Warrior”). Music Guest: Cher.
• “Good Morning America” – Demián Bichir (“The Heat”) and former New Orleans Saints safety Steve Gleason.
• “CBS This Morning” – Johnny Depp (“The Lone Ranger”).
Mid-Morning Show Guests:
• “Live! With Kelly and Michael” – Miranda Cosgrove (“Despicable Me 2″) and Aaron Tveit (“Graceland”).
• “The View” – Four participants from “Extreme Weight Loss” share their stories. “Extreme Weight Loss” fitness trainer Chris Powell co-hosts.
• “Rachael Ray” – Buddy Valastro (“Cake Boss”).
This Afternoon On TV:
• “Ellen DeGeneres” – Diane Keaton (“The Big Wedding”). Music Guest: Bon Jovi. (REPEAT)
• “The Talk” – Carl Reiner and Anne Burrell (“Chef Wanted with Anne Burrell”). “The Young & the Restless'” Joshua Morrow co-hosts.
• “Katie Couric” – “Life After Lottery”. Financial tips for dealing with sudden wealth and how lottery winners manage to keep their lives on track after hitting it big.
• “Steve Harvey” – Judge Alex Ferrer (“Judge Alex”) answers viewers’ legal questions, plus Steve tests out the new “Pound Fitness” workout. (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Phil” – “Broken Bones, Broken Hearts and Broken Engagements”. A woman who wants to marry her abusive and unfaithful boyfriend. (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Oz Show” – “How Yoga Can Reshape Your Body, Cure Your Pain, and Help You Lose Weight”.
• “Wendy Williams” – “Yahoo’s Easy Does It” host Ereka Vetrini and fashion expert Jene Luciani has this summer’s must-have beach essentials.
• “Anderson Live” – The cast of “Shark Tank”, plus chefs Gina and Patrick Neely. (REPEAT)
Tonight’s Late Night Talk Shows:
• “Letterman” – Harry Connick Jr., comedian Dylan Moran and members of the U.S. Army present the “Top Ten List”. Music guest: Harry Connick Jr. (REPEAT)
• “Jimmy Kimmel” – Johnny Depp (“The Lone Ranger”), Rebecca Romijn (TNT’s “King & Maxwell”), and chef Steve Martorano.
• “The Tonight Show” – Adam Sandler and Phil Jackson. Music Guest: Family of the Year. (REPEAT)
• “Craig Ferguson” – Max Greenfield (“New Girl”) and Debbie Reynolds. (REPEAT)
• “Jimmy Fallon” – Seth Rogen (“This Is the End”) and Jeffrey Tambor (“Arrested Development”). Music Guest: The Lumineers. (REPEAT)
• “Carson Daly” – Ludo Lefebvre (“The Taste”) and photographer Ian Ruhter. Music Guest: Superhumanoids. (REPEAT)
• “Conan” – Molly Shannon (“Scary Movie 5″) and Adam Sandler (“Grown Ups 2″). (REPEAT)
• “Jon Stewart” – CNN’s Fareed Zakaria. John Oliver guest hosts. (REPEAT)
• “The Colbert Report” – Author Jonathan Alter (“The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies”). (REPEAT)
• “Chelsea Lately” – Denise Richards (ABC Family’s “Twisted”).
Boys With Sisters Are Less Likely to Do Chores When They Grow Up
According to a new study, boys who have sisters are more likely to sit back and let women do all the housework.
Researchers talked to 10-year-olds in 1987. Only 60% of 10-year-old boys said that they were expected to help out with the dishes and other household chores . . . 82% of girls said they had to help out.
Years later, when the 10-year-olds were adults, the researchers found that boys STILL thought that girls should do most of the household chores.
Boys with sisters were also 8.3% more likely to agree with Republican and conservative attitudes toward women . . . and were 3.8% more likely to agree that, quote, “a woman’s place is in the home”.
The more sisters a boy had . . . and the closer he was in age to them . . . the more likely he was to think women should do chores.
Ten Foods That Fight Bad Breath
If you woke up this morning with DRAGON BREATH . . . listen up.
We all know the foods that give us BAD breath . . . sadly, most of them are the ones we like BEST.
But here’s a list from EatingWell.com of TEN common, healthy things you can eat or drink every day that actually FIGHT bad breath.
1. Black or Green Tea. Black and green tea both contain polyphenols, which fight bad breath by preventing the growth of bacteria in your mouth. Green tea has a higher concentration, because of how it’s processed. Also, leave out the sugar for best results.
2. Yogurt. Unsweetened yogurt is a great defense against bad breath, because the active yogurt cultures compete with other bacteria in your mouth. Yogurt also gives you healthier teeth. People who eat it regularly have less plaque and less gum disease.
3. Water. The bacteria that cause bad breath live best in a dry mouth. Drinking water keeps them from growing, and helps with saliva production. And it also flushes away food particles, which cause bad breath as they break down.
4. Parsley, Basil . . . and Spinach. Herbs like parsley and basil are also high in polyphenols, which fight bacteria and help to break down sulfur compounds.
Look for ways to combine parsley and basil in the same dish with garlic or onions. Spinach works great too.
5. Apples. Try eating an apple after a GARLIC-heavy meal. Apples also have a lot of polyphenols, so they’re great for breaking down sulfur compounds that cause bad breath.
6. Cherries and Lettuce. Studies show that cherries and lettuce are effective against a certain smelly chemical called methyl mercaptan, which is released by bacteria in your mouth as they break down food particles.
The great thing is that all of these foods are healthy anyway . . . and low in calories. So if you can’t live without your garlic fries and onion rings, you can add these foods to your meals without worrying about gaining weight.
Four Ways To Beat Procrastination
Of all the bad habits out there, PROCRASTINATION is one of the easiest to pick up . . . and the hardest to get rid of. But it’s preventable, with the right strategies. Here’s a list of four you’ve probably heard before . . . because they supposedly WORK.
1. Set deadlines even when you don’t need to. The idea is to create something called ‘windows of opportunity.’ Basically, if you’re the procrastinating type, set a deadline even if it’s not necessary . . . that way the deadline is YOUR idea.
And then you may find that you do BETTER work under a deadline, because you’re more focused and decisive.
2. Create accountability. A lot of times we procrastinate on things that don’t really matter to anyone else. So FIND someone to hold you accountable, and fill them in on your plans. You’ll be more likely to follow through, because you don’t want to go back on your word.
3. Break big projects down into manageable tasks. The worst kind of procrastination is when you don’t get started at ALL, because you’re overwhelmed by a huge project. So break it down into little steps and tackle them one at a time.
4. Do a little bit each day. This one helps in two ways. First, you’re constantly getting closer to the final goal. Second, your brain is working on the problem over a longer period. You’ll come up with better solutions than if you do it all at the last minute. (99u.com)
Don’t Freak Out, But . . . Fetching Sticks Might Kill Your Dog
It’s time for a ridiculous summer warning to FREAK EVERYONE OUT: Apparently, fetching sticks can KILL your dog.
According to some veterinarians, splinters in your dog’s mouth from fetching sticks can cause them to choke, bleed to death, or develop a lethal INFECTION.
Even if that DOESN’T happen, surgery to remove multiple nasty splinters can be thousands of dollars.
And more serious or deadly injuries can occur if your dog runs full-tilt with their mouth open toward a stick you threw that got jammed in the GROUND.
Robin Hargreaves is the president of the British Veterinary Association, and he says, quote, “Never throw sticks for dogs. Even if you do it now, never do it again. It is a violent incident that causes real damage.”
So you’re supposed to use fake bones, rubber balls, or Frisbees instead
Oh, and as far as the infection thing goes, you probably wouldn’t notice until your dog started to seem depressed . . . and by that time the infection would have become REALLY serious. Not to worry you MORE or anything . .
A Teenager Sold His Kidney . . . to Pay for His Online Gaming?
We don’t have a lot of details on this story, and it took place in China . . . so there aren’t many LEGITIMATE news sources to confirm it. But we thought we’d share it anyway:
There’s an 18-year-old named Zhang in the Chinese province of Gansu, who racked up a HUGE bill buying video games online. Somehow he ended up charging $3,255 worth of games.
And when he couldn’t pay off the debt, he came up with a solution . . . Zhang decided to sell one of his KIDNEYS.
He found a buyer on the Chinese black market . . . but whoever bought Zhang’s kidney got a BARGAIN. Zhang sold his kidney for $6,510 . . . but the going rate for a black-market kidney in China is about $47,000.
That seems pretty weird, so some people think this desperate idiot’s online gaming debt was a little more like an online GAMBLING debt. But no one’s sure. (Planet Ivy)
A Guy Crashed Into a House, Got Thrown From the Car, and Landed Safely on the Living Room Couch
This might be the LUCKIEST bad driver in the state of Florida.
A 24-year-old man was driving his SUV in Jacksonville just after 3:00 A.M. on Friday morning . . . when he LOST CONTROL of the car. They haven’t released the guy’s name.
He missed a turn . . . drove over the curb . . . hit a mailbox . . . then some trees . . . and then CRASHED into the front of a HOUSE.
Apparently the guy wasn’t wearing his seatbelt, which is usually where the story ENDS for people. But in this case, it didn’t end as badly as it could have.
Because yeah, he WAS thrown from the SUV in the crash. But he wasn’t seriously hurt . . . since he landed safely on the LIVING ROOM COUCH of the house he’d just crashed into. (News 4 Jacksonville)
An Airline in India Is Only Hiring Female Flight Attendants . . . To Save Money on Fuel?
An Indian airline named GoAir has announced that they’ll ONLY be hiring female flight attendants from now on.
Right now, their flight crew is 40% male . . . but they’re not getting RID of the male flight attendants. They just aren’t hiring any new ones. They think it’ll reduce the percentage of men to about 30% . . . which is more in line with other airlines.
And here’s why: On average, women are between 30 and 45 pounds lighter than men . . . and lighter flight attendants SAVE FUEL.
Every extra pound on a plane costs a little over two cents in extra fuel costs . . . two and a quarter cents, to be exact. By only hiring female flight attendants, GoAir expects to save HALF a MILLION dollars a year by using less fuel.
They’re also reducing the size of their in-flight magazine, and carrying less water on board to make their planes lighter.
A Husband and Wife in Luxury Real Estate Put Dead Snakes and Mice on their Neighbor’s Lawn, to Sabotage the Sale
Jonathan and Andrea Straub are luxury real estate agents in a wealthy suburb of Philadelphia. She’s 34, he’s 40. And apparently, when it comes to selling THEIR house, they take no prisoners.
They live in a three-bedroom stucco with marble baths and a pool, that they’re trying to sell for $1 million. But their neighbor, Marty Martell, was trying to sell HER house for a million too.
So as luxury real estate agents do, the Straubs decided to help their chances of selling THEIR house first . . . by SABOTAGING Marty’s property while she was in the hospital.
They knocked down Marty’s “For Sale” signs . . . took down all her flyers . . . cut branches off her tress . . . and put dead SNAKES and MICE in her yard.
The only problem is . . . they got caught on surveillance video dumping the dead animals.
Jonathan and Andrea both got ticketed for harassment and disorderly conduct, but their lawyers say they’ll fight the charges. (Philly.com)
A Guy Got Busted for Stealing His Neighbor’s TV . . . When He Went Back for the Remote
Have you ever been staying at someone’s place, and tried to use their super-sweet state-of-the-art TV? Only you CAN’T . . . because it’s not yours, and the remote is IMPOSSIBLE? That actually helped bust this next idiot
On Friday, 31-year-old Miguel Suarez of Salem, Massachusetts found out his neighbor would be at a doctor’s appointment. And he took that opportunity to BREAK IN, and steal her $800, 46-inch flat-screen Phillips ‘smart’ TV
And he got away with it too. Only he couldn’t WORK the thing. So on Sunday, Miguel went BACK to her apartment while she was home, and ASKED for the REMOTE.
And the best part? When his neighbor told him thieves had stolen it, Miguel told her, quote, “No they didn’t.”
Anyway, after incriminating himself in multiple stupid ways, Miguel was arrested on Monday. And police say they found the TV outside . . . after having been tossed out Miguel’s sixth floor window. Miguel plans to plead not guilty. (AP)
Two Russian Teenagers Cut Off a Homeless Guy’s Head and Played Soccer With It
This is SERIOUSLY disturbing. So you COULD use it as proof that our society is DOOMED. But we prefer to think of it as a VERY sick exception.
Two Russian teenagers got drunk last Tuesday in Moscow . . . and decided to KILL a homeless man. (Their names weren’t released.)
Supposedly they decided to murder him because they, quote, “didn’t like the looks of him.” It gets worse: They DECAPITATED him with an axe . . . a saw . . . and knives.
And it STILL gets worse. According to some news reports, once they’d decapitated him, the two kids PLAYED SOCCER with his HEAD. And when they were done, they threw the head in a trash can.
Police followed the TRAIL of BLOOD back to the teenagers’ home, and arrested them. A garbage truck took the man’s severed head . . . so they haven’t been able to identify him yet. (Rianovosti)
A Puppy Who Survived in an Impounded Car For a Month Has Been Adopted
In April, a Buick got impounded in Kansas City . . . and the people who towed it didn’t notice a 14-week-old PUPPY had been left in the car.
He was a terrier-schnauzer mix . . . and lived in the car for a MONTH before an impound-lot worker saw him sitting on the dashboard.
Somehow he survived by eating leftover McDonald’s food in bags that had been left in the car . . . and CIGARS. He was dehydrated when he was rescued . . . and weighed just three pounds.
Two months later, he weighs 10 pounds, and the family that has been taking care of him decided to ADOPT him last week. They’re naming him Kia . . . maybe Buick just sounds weird? And they say he’s learned several commands already, and has been house trained.
Hilarie Burton – 31 (“One Tree Hill” minx [slash] MTV VJ. Now she’s Sara on the USA Network’s “White Collar”.)
Rhea Durham – 35 (She and Mark Wahlberg had three children before finally getting married in August of 2009. Now they have four.)
Liv Tyler – 36 (The sexy Elf minx Arwen in the “Lord of the Rings” movies. At age 17, her daddy, Steven Tyler, had her star in Aerosmith’s video for “Crazy” . . . where she STRIPPED NAKED and engaged in lesbian activities with Alicia Silverstone.)
Jarome Iginla – 36 (Nubian NHL superstar.)
Claire Forlani – 41 (Dark-haired, blue-eyed minx that Brad Pitt fell for in “Meet Joe Black” . . . and Ben Stiller fell for in “Mystery Men”.)
MISSY “MY CHUBBY MISDEMEANOR” ELLIOTT! – 42
Pamela Anderson – 46 (Losing her looks FAST.)
Andre Braugher – 51 (Beautiful bald black man from “Homicide” and “Gideon’s Crossing”. Most recently he co-starred with Scott Bakula and Ray Romano on the TNT show “Men of a Certain Age”.)
Carl Lewis – 52 (Beautiful bald black Olympic track star. Nine out of his TEN Olympic medals are GOLD.
Alan Ruck – 57 (Cameron Frye in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”! He was 29 when he played Cameron . . . who was a high school student. He went on to become Stuart on “Spin City”.)
Dan Aykroyd – 61 (Will he EVER get “Ghostbusters 3″ off the ground? Discuss.)
Fred Schneider – 62 (Legendary voice of the B-52’s.)
Deborah Harry – 68 (Blondie)
Karen Black – 74 (Mother Firefly in Rob Zombie’s “House of 1,000 Corpses”, and a prostitute in “Easy Rider”.)
Wally “Famous” Amos – 77 (Chocolate chip cookie legend.)
DAVID PROWSE “IS DARTH VADER”! – 78
JAMIE “FRICKIN'” FARR! – 79 (LEBANESE-AMERICAN CROSS-DRESSING SUPERSTAR CORPORAL KLINGER ON “M*A*S*H”! AND SUPERSTAR WITH AN LPGA EVENT NAMED AFTER HIM . . . THE JAMIE FARR / KROGER CLASSIC!)
Sydney Pollack – Would have been 79 – (1934 – 2008) (Movie producer, director of “Out of Africa”, “Tootsie” and “The Firm”, AND Tom Cruise’s rich “fourgy”-loving friend in “Eyes Wide Shut”. He was also Will’s dad on “Will & Grace”.)
Princess Diana – Would have been 52 – (1961 – 1997)
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 3 days until Independence Day
• 25 days until “The Wolverine”
• 60 days until Labor Day Weekend
• 83 days until the Emmy Awards
• 1,299 days left of “Hope and Change”
Back in the day…….
98 years ago . . . in 1915 – The FIRST NUDE SCENE in a movie was shown with Australian actress Annette Kellerman stripping in “Daughter Of The Gods”.
50 years ago . . . in 1963 – The U.S. Post Office began using five-digit ZIP CODES.
38 years ago . . . in 1975 – Disney’s “The Apple Dumpling Gang” was released . . . starring Tim Conway, Harry Morgan, Don Knotts and (future “Incredible Hulk” superstar) Bill Bixby.
33 years ago . . . in 1980 – “O Canada” was proclaimed the Canadian national anthem! (It has since been replaced. I’m not sure what the new song is, but I know it’s by Bachman-Turner Overdrive.)
24 years ago . . . in 1989 – 63-year-old HUGH HEFNER married 26-year-old Kimberly Conrad. As Miss January 1988, her ambitions were, quote, “To be financially self-sufficient, do a cover for ‘Playboy’ and travel the world.” She divorced Hef in 1998, and is now set for life
22 years ago . . . in 1991 – Naughty CLARENCE THOMAS was nominated for the Supreme Court by President George Bush the Elder.
22 years ago . . . in 1991 – MICHAEL LANDON died from the sinister pancreatic cancer at the age of 54.
10 years ago today……
Flashback to 2003: CBS’s “JAG” Spin-Off Can’t Pick a Title, Which is Never a Good Sign
CBS has plans for a “JAG” spin-off on the fall schedule with MARK HARMON. But bad news, Mark Harmon lovers . . . which is ALL OF YOU. Things aren’t looking good.
CBS can’t decide on a name for this show. It was supposed to be called “NCIS”, but the network felt it had too many shows that were just initials. So now it’s been changed to “Navy CIS” . . . then “Naval CIS”.
It should be called . . . EARLY CANCELLATION. This is exactly the kind of silliness that can DOOM a TV show before it’s even begun. Are you happy, CBS? How can you have Mark Harmon in your midst and still mess it up?!?
Today’s Perspective . . . “NCIS” is One of the Most Successful Shows of the Past Decade
You might say our predictions of doom were just a LITTLE bit off.
Yes, the show was called “Navy NCIS” during its first season. They dropped the “Navy” entering season two.
By its sixth season, “NCIS” was had the fifth highest ratings for the year of any show on TV. And by last year . . . it was up to NUMBER ONE.
See. You can’t screw things up when you’ve got Mark Harmon.
15 years ago . . . in 1998 – Hollywood’s new royal family was formed, when BARBRA STREISAND married JAMES “DOUBLE A . . . BEEP-BEEP . . . M-C-O” BROLIN!
15 years ago . . . in 1998 – A Florida man sued the Diamond Dolls strip club, claiming that stripper TAWNY PEAKS hit him upside the head with her enormous DD breasts, causing him to suffer WHIPLASH and PERMANENT NECK DAMAGE!
13 years ago . . . in 2000 – WALTER MATTHAU died at age 79.
9 years ago . . . in 2004 – MARLON BRANDO died of respiratory failure, caused by pulmonary fibrosis. He was 80.
8 years ago . . . in 2005 – LUTHER VANDROSS passed away after complications from his stroke.
6 years ago . . . in 2007 – ENGLAND BANNED SMOKING in all public spaces.