Your daily dose of WHATEVER!
Eleven Celebrity Baby Names That Are Worse Than North West
Officially, we still don’t know if KIM KARDASHIAN and KANYE WEST named their daughter NORTH WEST. But that does seem to be the case. And while that’s a little goofy, is it really the WORST rock star baby name out there?
NME.com doesn’t think so. They put together a list of names they think are WORSE. Do you agree? Check ‘em out:
Sabbath and Hendrix Wylde . . . children of Black Label Society and Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde.
Zuma Nesta Rock Rossdale . . . daughter of Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale.
Zowie Bowie . . . son of David and Angela Bowie. He later changed his name to Duncan.
Moon Unit Zappa . . . daughter of Frank Zappa.
Everly Bear Kiedis . . . daughter of Anthony Kiedis.
Seven Sirius . . . son of Erykah Badu and Andre 3000.
Bronx Mowgli Wentz . . . son of Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson.
Apple Martin . . . daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.
Blue Angel Evans . . . daughter of U2 guitarist The Edge.
Egypt Daoud Ibarr Dean . . . son of Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz.
Sparrow James Midnight Madden . . . son of Joel Madden and Nicole Richie.
Here’s the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s video that was shot on the top of the Empire State Buidling!
Pictures of Famous People….
. GEORGE LUCAS entered into taboo interracial wedded bliss with his girlfriend MELLODY HOBSON over the weekend. Journalist Bill Moyers conducted the ceremony, Steven Spielberg gave a speech and Van Morrison performed. (Huffington Post)
Even though she filed for divorce, TISH CYRUS cozied up to BILLY RAY when they took their daughter Noah out for lunch.(TMZ)
HEIDI KLUM is in the process of having a SEAL-related forearm tattoo removed. (People)
JUSTIN BIEBER and his posse hit an indoor skydiving joint earlier this month. He brought along a girl and got pretty friendly with her. (E! Online)
Chris Brown Is Accused of Assaulting a Girl at a Club
CHRIS BROWN has been accused of assaulting a girl at a nightclub after a performance. But believe it or not, he probably DIDN’T do it.
24-year-old Deanna Gines says Chris deliberately shoved her to her knees at the Heat Ultra Lounge in Anaheim, California Saturday night. As a result, she may need surgery to repair torn ligaments.
There’s no word what caused the shove, and it sounds like the whole thing might be a fabrication. The owner of the club says that after interviewing security and other witnesses, he doesn’t think it even happened.
But he does say that Deanna repeatedly tried to jump the stage while Chris was performing, then tried to rush him in the roped-off VIP area.
Her behavior actually got her tossed from the club, and she threw her shoes at security while they were ejecting her.
Paula Deen Has Lost Her Deal With Smithfield Foods
PAULA DEEN hasn’t lost too many endorsement deals yet, but yesterday Smithfield Foods dropped her.
The company said, quote, “[We condemn] the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind.”
Ironically, Paula took a frozen Smithfield ham TO THE FACE back in 2009, and the incident resulted in a HILARIOUS YouTube rap video.
Johnny Depp Travels With His Captain Jack Sparrow Costume So He Can Visit Children’s Hospitals
Here’s how cool JOHNNY DEPP is: Whenever he travels, he brings his Captain Jack Sparrow costume from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies with him . . . just in case he wants to visit a children’s hospital.
He says, quote, “Sometimes you go to kiddie hospitals and things like that.
“I’ll just sneak in and go and surprise a bunch of kiddies through the different wards . . . It basically turns into a two-, three-hour improvisation and it’s really fun. So I travel with Captain Jack.”
It Sounds Like Something Is Seriously Wrong with Honey Boo Boo’s Dad, Sugar Bear
It sounds like something is seriously wrong with HONEY BOO BOO’S dad, MICHAEL “SUGAR BEAR” THOMPSON.
A few weeks back, Sugar Bear was hospitalized after “getting dizzy and passing out.” At the time, the family said they were doing tests on his brain . . . and added, quote, “It could be very serious.”
We still don’t know what’s wrong with him, but the family posted this ominous Facebook update: Quote, “We went to the doctor, [and it's] not a good report . . . in a few weeks, [we'll] get more results and see what the long term plan will be.
“[We] don’t want to share the diagnosis until we get all the information . . . he’s acting normal unless he has an ‘episode.’ We are having fun as a family, and yes we are still going [to] our meet and greets, and he will be with us.”
Sugar Bear hasn’t exactly been the picture of health over the past year. Last September, he was hospitalized for a foot infection . . . three months later, an ambulance was called after he became ill during a holiday toy drive.
And in February, he was hospitalized and placed in the Intensive Care Unit for pancreatitis.
Paul Giamatti Has Joined the Cast of “Downton Abbey”
PAUL GIAMATTI has joined the cast of “Downton Abbey” for its fourth season. He’s playing a, quote, “maverick, playboy” named Harold . . . who’s the brother of Cora, ELIZABETH MCGOVERN’S character.
Season Four begins airing in Britain in September. In America, the new season premieres on PBS on January 5th.
Tuesday TV Reminders:
Early Morning Guests:
• “Betty White’s Off Their Rockers” . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on NBC. Nick Cannon makes an appearance.
• “Extreme Weight Loss” . . . 8:00 to 10:00 P.M. on ABC. Former NFL linebacker Clay Matthews and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver lend support to a 410-pound, 23-year-old man trying to lose weight.
• “So You Think You Can Dance” [Performance Show] . . . 8:00 to 10:00 P.M. on Fox. The top 20 dancers perform live for the first time this season.
• “Minute To Win It” [3rd Season Premiere] . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on GSN.
• “Rizzoli & Isles” [4th Season Premiere] . . . 9:00 to 10:00 P.M. on TNT.
• “Perception” [2nd Season Premiere] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on TNT.
• “Catfish: The TV Show” [2nd Season Premiere] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on MTV.
• “Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel” . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on HBO. Former Duke guard and ESPN analyst Jay Williams discusses the motorcycle accident that almost took his life, MMA fighter Todd Vance, and wirewalker Nik Wallenda.
• “Don’t Be Tardy” [2nd Season Finale] . . . 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on Bravo.
• “Watch What Happens: Live” . . . 11:00 to 11:30 P.M. on Bravo. “The Real Housewives of Orange County’s” Jo De La Rosa, Jeana Keough and her children Shane and Kara Keough are guests.
• “Nick Cannon Presents Wild ‘N Out” [Special Presentation] . . . 11:00 P.M. to Midnight on MTV2. Nick Cannon, Mac Miller, Kevin Hart, MGK, and DeRay Davis share memorable moments from the series.
• “The Today Show” – Channing Tatum (“White House Down”) and chef Mark Bittman. Music Guest: Carla Bruni.
• “Good Morning America” – No guests listed yet. Check your local listings.
• “CBS This Morning” – John Goodman (“Monsters University”), Representative Paul Ryan and author John Hendricks (“A Curious Discovery: An Entrepreneur’s Story”).
Mid-Morning Show Guests:
• “Live! With Kelly and Michael” – Channing Tatum (“White House Down”) and Eric McCormack (“Perception”). Carrie Ann Inaba co-hosts.
• “The View” – Kris Jenner (“Keeping Up with the Kardashians”), Larry King, and wirewalker Nik Wallenda.
• “Rachael Ray” – Beth Stern showcases unbelievable pet tricks. And meteorologist Jim Cantore has tips for surviving extreme weather. (REPEAT)
This Afternoon On TV:
• “Ellen DeGeneres” – Rebel Wilson (“Pitch Perfect”) and Zac Efron (“The Paperboy”). Music Guest: Ed Sheeran. (REPEAT)
• “The Talk” – Scott Wolf and chef Edward Lee. Marie Osmond co-hosts.
• “Katie Couric” – Revenge porn websites, the digital rules of dating, and social-media prenuptial agreements.
• “Steve Harvey” – “Divorce Court’s” Judge Lynn Toler answers questions about child support issues to co-parenting battles. (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Phil” – The parents of a 15-year-old girl ask Dr. Phil to help with her violent behavior and disrespect for authority. (REPEAT)
• “Dr. Oz Show” – Three simple fatigue fighters that could work for you. Plus tips to help you stop emotionally eating. (REPEAT)
• “Wendy Williams” – Kathy Griffin, plus Katherine and Sophie Kallinis from “DC Cupcakes”.
• “Anderson Live” – Christie Brinkley (“Parks and Recreation”) co-hosts. Their guests are Gilles Marini (ABC Family’s “Switched at Birth’”) and “Coffee Cup Killer” Lois Goodman. (REPEAT)
Tonight’s Late Night Talk Shows:
• “Letterman” – Channing Tatum (“White House Down”) and climate activist Tim DeChristopher. Music Guest: Fitz & the Tantrums.
• “Jimmy Kimmel” – Marlon Wayans (“The Heat”) and Miley Cyrus.
• “The Tonight Show” – Sandra Bullock (“The Heat”) and Bob Saget (“How I Met Your Mother”). Music Guest: Il Volo.
• “Craig Ferguson” – Wendie Malick (“Hot in Cleveland”) and Breckin Meyer (“Franklin & Bash”).
• “Jimmy Fallon” – Glenn Close (for her book “The Family Guide to Mental Health Care”) and Dolph Lundgren (“Race to the Scene”). Music Guest: Portugal. The Man. (REPEAT)
• “Carson Daly” – Nicholas Hoult (“Warm Bodies”) and Pixar animator Everett Downing’s “365 Supers”. Music Guest: Curtis Peoples. (REPEAT)
• “Conan” – Nick Swardson (“Grown Ups 2″) and Heather Locklear (“Franklin & Bash”). Music Guest: Mavis Staples.
• “Jon Stewart” – Questlove for his new book “Mo’ Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove”.
• “The Colbert Report” – Tufts University history professor Peniel Joseph for his book “Dark Days, Bright Nights: From Black Power to Barack Obama”.
• “Chelsea Lately” – Angie Harmon (“Rizzoli & Isles”).
New CD’s, Movies and DVD’s…
Bret Michaels and Queensryche Are Rockin’ New CDs Today
• “Jammin’ With Friends”, Bret Michaels . . . It includes his duet with Loretta Lynn on “Every Rose Has Its Thorn”, plus a duet with Jimmy Buffett on “Margaritaville”, and the guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd on “Sweet Home Alabama”.
Other guests on the disc include Miley Cyrus, Michael Anthony from Van Halen, Ace Frehley from KISS, Phil Collen from Def Leppard, Leslie West from Mountain, Joe Perry from Aerosmith, and C.C. Deville from Bret’s band Poison.
• “Queensryche”, the version of Queensryche with new singer Todd La Torre
• “Moonlander”, a solo album from Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard
• “Bosnian Rainbows”, the self-titled debut from Bosnian Rainbows . . . the band formed by two of the guys from The Mars Volta after the band split up last year.
• “Zero”, the fifth album from the rock band Hawthorne Heights
• “Songversation”, the fifth album from R&B minx India.Arie
• “One True Vine”, the 13th album from soul singer Mavis Staples . . . and her second collaboration with Wilco singer Jeff Tweedy. Their last one, “You Are Not Alone”, won the Grammy for Best Americana Album in 2011.
• “Palms”, Palms . . . The debut album from a new rock band featuring Deftones singer Chino Moreno, and three members of the band Isis.
• “Pineapple Grenade”, the new album from the rock-reggae band Ballyhoo!
• “Rise”, the ninth album from the Christian rock band Skillet
• “In a Warzone”, the third album from the punk band the Transplants
• “The Gifted”, Wale . . . His guests include Cee Lo, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Meek Mill, Ne-Yo, Rick Ross, Yo Gotti, Lyfe Jennings, Wiz Khalifa, and 2 Chainz.
• “Gwen Sebastian”, the self-titled debut by a former contestant on “The Voice”. Gwen Sebastian was on Team Blake in the show’s second season.
• “Steve Earle – The Warner Brother Years”, Steve Earle. A box set of 4-CDs and one DVD. It features three albums Steve recorded for Warner Brothers . . . “Train A’ Comin’”, “I Feel Alright” and “El Corazon”.
Halle Berry’s “The Call” and Steve Carell’s “Incredible Burt Wonderstone” Hit DVD Today
• “The Incredible Burt Wonderstone” . . . Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi are a Las Vegas magic duo who’ve secretly grown to despise each other. Jim Carrey plays their number one rival, and Olivia Wilde plays Burt’s hot assistant.
• “The Call” . . . Halle Berry plays a 911 operator trying to help a teenage girl who’s been abducted by a serial killer who once killed his victim while she was on the phone with Halle. 16-year-old Abigail Breslin plays his latest victim.
• “Into the White” . . . Rupert Grint stars in this World War II drama about three British pilots who take shelter in a cabin with the crew of a German bomber after they shoot each others’ planes down. It’s based on a true story of how those six men worked together to survive the harsh winter.
• “CSI: New York – The Ninth (and Final) Season”
• “Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids: The Complete Series”
The Marvel Comics Character DeadPool Gets His Own Game Today
“DeadPool“ is a Marvel Comics game on Xbox360, PS3, and PC. Deadpool is a popular anti-hero in the Marvel universe. He’s a mentally unstable mercenary who could just as easily talk you to death as fight you with his guns and swords.
He’s well known for “breaking the fourth wall” by talking directly to you as he shares his thoughts on the cleavage of any female he runs into, or brags about chopping a dude’s arm off. That’s partly how he got his nickname of the “Merc with the Mouth.”
Deadpool has accelerated healing, like Wolverine, so you’ll have the choice of either reattaching severed limbs or waiting for them to regrow when he gets hurt.
Wolverine also makes an appearance in the game, and some of the other Marvel characters you’ll run into include Psylocke, Rogue, Domino, and Cable.
“Ride to Hell: Retribution“ is a game for the Xbox360 and PS3 about motorcycle gangs in the 1960s. You play as a Vietnam veteran hunting down a biker gang that murdered your brother. It’s rated (M) for Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content, Drug References, and Strong Language. (Trailer)
“LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval’s Journey“ is a game for the 3DS and Vita. Chima is a world run by eight animal tribes fighting for control of a natural resource called Chi. You play as Laval, a warrior of the lion tribe. It’s rated (E10+). (Trailer)
“Company of Heroes 2“ is a World War Two strategy game for the PC. You control the Soviet Red Army to try and free Mother Russia from the Nazis. It’s rated (M) for Blood and Gore, Strong Language, and Violence. (Trailer)
Men Would Rather Marry Ugly Women?
Apparently, it’s every man’s secret dream to spend a few years having sex with supermodels . . . then find someone nice and homely to settle down with for good. Who knew?
According to a new study, men say women with more attractive and feminine features are the best for one-night stands . . . and women with less attractive and more masculine features are better to MARRY.
By feminine features, they mean large eyes, small noses, full cheeks, a small jawbone, and a younger overall look. Those are the kind of women that men said they wanted to have SEX with . . . but not be in relationships with.
The theory here is that men have to worry about more attractive women cheating on them. And if a woman cheats on you, there’s a chance you’ll end up raising some other guy’s child. And it’s the male biological instinct NOT to do that.
So when it comes to settling down, men aren’t necessarily looking for the most attractive woman . . . they’re looking for someone who won’t cheat on them.
How Old Were You the First Time You Watched Porn?
Remember the first time you watched porn? Your friend probably had a grainy VHS of a mediocre ’70s porno flick . . . and you thought it was the greatest thing you’d ever seen.
A new survey asked people: How OLD were you when you watched PORN for the first time? And for both men and women, the average age was . . . 18.
Age 16 came in second, age 15 came in third, and age 12 came in fourth.
Men gave answers ranging from age five to age 85. Women gave answers ranging from age six to age 48.
84% of Us Have Our Sleep Interrupted By Snoring
According to a new study, 84% of us have had our sleep interrupted by someone’s snoring . . . either the person we’re sleeping with, or our OWN.
Women are twice as likely as men to leave the room to get away from their partner’s snoring and get some sleep.
But . . . snoring or not . . . no one really wants to give up their comfortable bed. Two out of three people say that they put up with their partner’s snoring instead of giving up the bed.
Three out of four people said that given the choice, they’d rather have a good night’s sleep than a fun night out.
And parents with teenagers are 12% more likely than parents who have young children to choose sleep over going out.
Would You Wear a Coat Made Entirely of Male Chest Hair?
This sounds like a VERY EXPENSIVE . . . and VERY DISGUSTING . . . fur coat. A company in England has made a fur coat that’s 100% MALE CHEST HAIR.
It’s actually from a milk company, who did it to remind men to be manly . . . or something. But that’s not really the point: It’s a COAT of CHEST HAIR.
There’s no word how many men’s chests were shaved to make this coat happen. But they say it took 200 hours to put together . . . and they’re selling it for around $3,900.
Want to Be Happy? Don’t Commute to Work
According to a new Gallup poll, if you want to be happy, you should work somewhere close to your house . . . so you don’t have to commute.
Two out of five people who commute more than three hours a day say that they spend most of the work day worrying. That’s 12% higher than people who commute less than 10 minutes a day.
One in three people with long commutes say that they have chronic neck or back pain.
And people with long commutes also have higher divorce rates . . . higher obesity levels . . . exercise less . . . and eat more fast food.
Out of all daily activities . . . people said their commute to work is the least-enjoyable thing they do.
A Woman Manages to Kill Her Husband and Herself While Learning How to Park
This story comes out of China, so take it for what it’s worth. But assuming it’s true, you should be GRATEFUL . . . no matter HOW bad your driving lessons went back in the day, they didn’t go as poorly as THIS.
Last week, a 41-year-old woman in Ningbo, Zhejiang, China finally got her driver’s license. She’s only been identified by her last name, Lin.
Her husband was teaching her to park in their parking garage by having her back into a narrow spot. He stood behind the car, and as she backed up, she went too far . . . and CRUSHED him against the wall.
He SCREAMED, so Lin stuck her head out the window, saw what happened, and panicked. She tried to gun the car forward, but forgot to switch from “reverse” to “drive” . . . and RAMMED her husband even harder against the wall.
Meanwhile, since her head was still sticking out, her head got jammed between the car and a concrete wall in the parking garage. So BOTH OF THEM DIED in the process. (Global Times)
Five New Stats on Lightning Deaths in the U.S.
Apparently it’s National Lightning Safety Awareness Week right now. We weren’t sure how that was relevant in late June . . . but based on their findings, it actually is.
The National Weather Service just released a bunch of new statistics about the people who have DIED FROM LIGHTNING in the U.S. in the past seven years. Here are the five big findings . . .
1. Since 2006, 238 people in the U.S. have died after being struck by lightning. That includes seven people so far this year.
2. 82% were male.
3. 64% died doing a leisure activity. Fishing was the most common, followed by camping, boating, soccer, and golf.
4. Kids are most likely to die from lightning when they’re DOING CHORES. So tell your kids they can stop taking out the garbage if there’s a storm.
Fruit Stickers Are Going Extinct
There’s a good chance your kid will never peel the Del Monte sticker off a banana and leave it in the most random place possible. Yes, in this era of cheap nostalgia ploys, you’re expected to feel wistful even over THAT.
Fruit stickers seem to be on their way toward EXTINCTION. Soon, companies will be able to mark their fruit by BRANDING it with a LASER.
The process was just approved in Europe. It was invented several years ago, but laser-branding uses a few chemicals . . . so it took until now for the European Union to rule it was safe.
There’s no word on when this could come to the U.S. . . . but since the process is cheaper, easier, and more environmentally friendly than producing millions of stickers, it’s really only a matter of time. (The Telegraph)
Busy Philipps – 34 (Actress from “Freaks and Geeks” and “Dawson’s Creek” who’s now on “Cougar Town”. She was also one of the real white chicks . . . not Wayans Brothers dressed as white chicks . . . in “White Chicks”.)
(She’s currently expecting her second child with Marc Silverstein, who wrote “He’s Just Not That Into You” and “The Vow”.)
La La Vazquez – 34 (Former MTV VJ and VH1 host. She’s married to Carmelo Anthony from the New York Knicks.)
Linda Cardellini – 38 (Velma in “Scooby Doo” and Sylvia Rosen on “Mad Men”. She was also the sister in the very underrated TV show “Freaks & Geeks” . . . and a VERY sexy nurse on “ER”.)
Jeff Cohen – 39 (Chunk in “The Goonies”.)
Angela Kinsey – 42 (Dwight’s tightly wound ex-girlfriend Angela on “The Office”.)
Dikembe Mutombo – At least 47 (While the NBA and all reports SAY he’s 47, no one except Dikembe truly knows how old he is . . . and many suspect he’s well into his 50s.)
Erica Gimpel – 49 (Coco Hernandez on the TV series “Fame”. “The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.”)
George Michael – 50 (Loves the Mary Jane. The Giggle Weed. The Wacky Terbacky. Whatever you wanna call it, George will smoke it.)
RICKY GERVAIS – 52 (The star and creator of the brilliant British sitcom “The Office”. You may also recognize him as Ben Stiller’s boss in the “Night at the Museum” movies.)
Anthony Bourdain – 57 (Chef and TV star. He left the Travel Channel to do a new show on CNN called “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown”.)
DAVID PAICH! – 59 (TOTO’S AWESOME SINGER AND KEYBOARDIST!)
JIMMIE WALKER! – 66 (He used to be “Dynomite” J.J. Evans on “Good Times”.)
Carly Simon – 68 (Her 1972 smash “You’re So Vain” is about Warren Beatty.)
George Orwell – (1903 – 1950) (Author who coined the phrase “Big Brother”, in his prophetic sci-fi novel “1984″.)
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 9 days until Independence Day
• 31 days until “The Wolverine”
• 44 days to MSBC XXV in Chicago
• 66 days until Labor Day Weekend
• 89 days until the Emmy Awards
• 1,305 days left of “Hope and Change”
Back in the day….
383 years ago . . . in 1630 – Massachusetts Governor John Winthrop introduced the TABLE FORK to America.
137 years ago . . . in 1876 – General GEORGE CUSTER and 265 white men of the Seventh U.S. Cavalry were slaughtered by Sioux and Cheyenne Indians at the BATTLE OF LITTLE BIG HORN in Montana
46 years ago . . . in 1967 – THE BEATLES performed “All You Need Is Love” on live TV, for an audience of 200 million. The Rolling Stones and The Who were in the studio as part of the audience.
36 years ago . . . in 1977 – Park ranger Roy Sullivan was STRUCK BY LIGHTNING for a record SEVENTH TIME. He survived all the strikes . . . then killed himself in 1983.
36 years ago . . . in 1977 – THE EMOTIONS’ smash “Best Of My Love” hit #1 on the R&B charts. It did the same thing on the pop charts two months later.
29 years ago . . . in 1984 – JESSE JACKSON took a break from impregnating his mistress to secure the release of 48 U.S. and Cuban prisoners after meeting with President Fidel Castro in Cuba.
20 years ago . . . in 1993 – “Sleepless In Seattle”, starring TOM HANKS and MEG RYAN, was released.
20 years ago . . . in 1993 – For some reason, the beautiful LYLE LOVETT married the hideous JULIA ROBERTS. He divorced her two years later . . . and was wise enough to never remarry.
16 years ago . . . in 1997 - The great JACQUES COUSTEAU died in Paris at age 87.
14 years ago . . . in 1999 – After four failed marriages, JEAN-CLAUDE VAN DAMME REMARRIED his third wife Gladys Portugues, making her wife #3 AND #5. Today’s the 14th Anniversary of their 2nd attempt at marriage.
FYI: Jean-Claude Van Damme is only 5-foot-8. WHO KNEW???
8 years ago . . . in 2005 - JOHN FIEDLER, who was famous for doing the voice of “Winnie the Pooh’s” Piglet, died at the age of 80 . . . one day after the voice of Tigger (Paul Winchell) died.
7 years ago . . . in 2006 – NICOLE KIDMAN married country singer KEITH URBAN.
6 years ago . . . in 2007 - The bodies of WWE rassler CHRIS BENOIT’S wife and child were found dead in their home after he murdered them before hanging himself.
4 years ago . . . in 2009 – FARRAH FAWCETT and MICHAEL JACKSON died within hours of each other. Farrah succumbed to the dreaded anal cancer . . . and Michael surrendered his life to the negligence of Dr. Conrad Murray.
10 Year Flashback: The Ratings are In, and It Looks Like Reality TV is Finally Dead . . . and Flash-Forward to Today’s Perspective on Reality Dominance
Our Flashback section features a story we were talking about on The Complete Sheet 10 years ago to this day. We’ve also added some modern perspective to give these stories some context today.
Flashback to 2003: The Ratings are In, and It Looks Like Reality TV is Finally Dead
It may FINALLY be safe to say that, for the most part, reality TV is. . . DEAD. Nobody’s watching the reality shows this summer. Fox’s “Paradise Hotel” came in at #41 in the ratings last week. The WB’s “Boarding House: North Shore” earned an impressive 103rd place. The only reality show with a prayer, at this point, is “American Juniors”, which slipped into the top ten, at number ten, with 9.8 million viewers. Everywhere else. . . the TV drones are watching reruns of the shows that they missed earlier in the year (because they were watching reality shows at the time.)
“CSI” was the highest-rated show of the week, “CSI: Miami” was second, and “Everybody Loves Raymond” was third.
Today’s Perspective . . . Reality TV’s Not Only Alive, It’s on Like 200 Networks
It’s crazy how badly we wanted reality TV to die a decade ago. Even though all of those summer shows bombed, it REALLY didn’t mean the end of reality TV.
NO ONE knew how the cable TV industry was going to change over the next 10 years . . . with every network going for original programming. And much of that programming being cheap, easy, and popular reality television.
Plus the broadcast networks figured out if they just kept churning out singing competition shows, people would just keep watching.