Your daily dose of Whatever!
Sunday’s Oscars Were the Most-Watched in 10 Years
Sunday’s Oscars attracted an estimated 43 million viewers . . . making it the most-watched Academy Award ceremony since 2004, when 43.5 million tuned in. The post-Oscars episode of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” scored just under 7 million viewers, which was Kimmel’s best post-Oscar turnout yet.
John Travolta’s Botching of Idina Menzel’s Name Is a Social Media Phenomenon
JOHN TRAVOLTA’S botching of IDINA MENZEL’S name at the Oscars has become a social media phenomenon. MULTIPLE Twitter accounts for various spellings of “Adele Dazeem” have been set up . . . as well as name generators so you can “Travoltify” your name.
11 Oscar-Related Pictures: Matthew McConaughey’s Prom Photo . . . and Liza Minnelli Trying to Get Into Ellen’s Selfie
1. KIM and KHLOE KARDASHIAN posted photos of themselves at ELTON JOHN’S AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party. The Kardashians all wore red and black . . . and BRITNEY SPEARS showed off some side-boob.
For more, here’s a gallery of various celebrities partying after the Oscars.
2. Want to see what MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY looked like at his high school prom? Well, all right, all right, all right.
Someone Tweeted this photo . . . with the caption, quote, “My aunt’s high school prom date just won an Oscar. Congrats, Matthew McConaughey!”
3. JENNIFER LAWRENCE lost the Best Supporting Actress Oscar to LUPITA NYONG’O . . . but there’s an amusing backstage photo where she jokingly tries to steal it from her.
4. If you’ve ever fantasized about choking LADY GAGA, you’d probably enjoy a photo of her former enemy KELLY OSBOURNE pretending to do just that.
5. JARED LETO thought it would be fun to photo-bomb ANNE HATHAWAY.
6. ELLEN DEGENERES and LIZA MINNELLI posed for a selfie just before the EPIC one that was re-Tweeted all over the Internet. But as it turns out, Liza tried to get into that one, too . . . but she was too short to be seen over the crowd.
7. “New York” magazine has created a gallery of “10 Improvements on Ellen’s Oscar Selfie.” It’s kind of dumb. In fact, there aren’t even 10, because the first one is just the original shot, unedited.
Oh, and here’s a site where you can add YOURSELF into the selfie.
8. The oh-so-goofy JENNIFER LAWRENCE was photographed peeking out from behind a giant Oscar statue. And naturally, the Internet has turned it into a MEME, with Photoshopped images of Jennifer peeking out from behind things.
9. Jezebel.com has a big gallery of arty portraits from a “Vanity Fair” photographer that were taken at the magazine’s Oscar party.
10. EOnline.com has a rundown of all the silly Internet memes inspired by LEONARDO DICAPRIO coming away from the Oscars empty-handed.
11. Someone showed up to their Oscars Costume Party wearing this awesome “Gravity” costume. He says he went, quote, “As the whole movie.”
Four Oscar Randoms: Ellen Interviews the Pizza Delivery Guy . . . and a Best Supporting Actor Nominee May Be Broke
1. ELLEN DEGENERES had the pizza delivery guy from the Oscars on her show yesterday . . . and no, he isn’t an actor. He’s an actual pizza guy, although he isn’t just a driver, he co-owns the shop with his brother.
Ellen gave him a $1,000 tip. (Here’s video.)
2. Word has it that there’s beef between “12 Years a Slave” director STEVE MCQUEEN and writer JOHN RIDLEY, because John denied Steve’s request for a co-writing credit.
John won Best Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars. He did NOT thank Steve . . . and Steve unenthusiastically “fake clapped” for him after his speech.
3. TOM HANKS’ 28-year-old “Captain Phillips” co-star BARKHAD ABDI, who was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, might be BROKE.
Supposedly, Barkhad was paid $65,000 for “Captain Phillips”, but that was two years ago. And after quitting his job at a mobile phone store in Minneapolis, he’s struggling to make ends meet . . . but apparently he IS sticking with acting.
4. ED SHEERAN performed “Candle in the Wind” with ELTON JOHN at Elton’s Oscars after party. (Here’s video.)
Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant
SCARLETT JOHANSSON is pregnant. Probably, anyway. There’s been no official word from Scarlett’s camp, but EVERYBODY is reporting it as fact, so I guess we’re just gonna go with it.
The father is French journalist Romain Dauriac. They got engaged last September. There’s no word on Scarlett’s due date, but TMZ claims she’s FIVE MONTHS along, meaning she’s more than halfway to the finish line. She’s 29.
In an interview in December, Scarlett said, quote, “I would like to have my own family, that would be nice. They say it’s never the right time and I am sure that’s true, but I think you have to plan it like anything else.”
Justin Bieber Calls Selena Gomez The Most Elegant Princess in the World”
Maybe hookers, models and porn stars aren’t all they’re cracked up to be . . . because JUSTIN BIEBER is still hung up on SELENA GOMEZ.
Yesterday, he posted two pictures of Selena all dressed up and heading to a post-Oscar party. And he captioned them, quote, “Most elegant princess in the world.”
Did Gwen Stefani Turn Down a Playdate Offer from Pink?
PINK and GWEN STEFANI may be feuding over a PLAYDATE. Supposedly, there’s some bad blood between them, and Pink tried to bury the hatchet by suggesting they get their kids together. But a source says, quote, “She got an email a couple of days later from Gwen that basically said, ‘not now and not ever.'”
Pink has a 2-year-old daughter named Willow. Gwen now has three boys . . . 7-year-old Kingston, 5-year-old Zuma and 4-DAY-old Apollo.
The last time Pink and Gwen got together, they seemed to be the best of friends. Pink performed with NO DOUBT at a festival in September of 2012, where she and Gwen kissed and hugged.
People Are Already Talking About Matthew McConaughey as a Contender for Next Year’s Oscars
People are already pegging MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY as a possible two-time Oscar winner by this time next year. In November, he’ll be in theaters in “Interstellar”, the new movie from “Batman” and “Inception” director CHRISTOPHER NOLAN. It’s about wormholes and space travel.
Is Billy Dee Williams Going to Dance With the Stars?
The next “Dancing With the Stars” cast may have been leaked last night. Supposed contestants include Billy Dee Williams, Drew Carey, Bruce Jenner and gold medal-winning ice dancers Charlie White and Meryl Davis.
The cast will also ALLEGEDLY include Danica McKellar from “The Wonder Years” and Candace Cameron-Bure from “Full House”.
Gold medal-winning ice dancers Charlie White and Meryl Davis.
Long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad.
Former NHL star Sean Avery.
James Maslow from “Big Time Rush”.
Singer Cody Simpson.
“Real Housewife”Nene Leakes.
“Price is Right” host Drew Cary.
And future chick Bruce Jenner.
Tuesday’s TV Reminders:
• “The Voice” . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on NBC. The blind auditions continue. Adam and Usher have four artists on their teams. Shakira has three, and Blake has two.
• “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on ABC. Bill Paxton guest stars when Coulson leads a mission to save Skye’s life, by finding the doctors that brought him back from the dead. Preview the first four minutes on YouTube.
• “Glee” . . . 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on Fox. Demi Lovato and Adam Lambert perform on stage with Kurt as part of his band. And Adam Lambert’s character gets stuck in the middle of Santana’s feud with Rachel.
Tonight’s Late Night Talk Shows:
• “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” – Chelsea Handler and Lea Michele.
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” – Ralph Fiennes, Allison Williams, and Mike Birbiglia.
• “Letterman” – Michael Keaton, and Phantogram.
• “Jimmy Kimmel” – Jane Lynch, Omar Epps, and Amos Lee.
• “Carson Daly” – Actor Tony Revolori (“The Grand Budapest Hotel”), and comedian Ron Josol. Music Guest: Kodaline.
• “Arsenio” – Columbus Short from “Scandal”. Plus the cast of “Basketball Wives”.
• “Conan” – Betty White, Jason Momoa, and American Authors.
• “Craig Ferguson” – Elijah Wood, Keke Palmer, and Glasvegas.
• “Chelsea Lately” – Gabourey Sidibe guest hosts and talks to Kid Cudi.
• “Jon Stewart” – Former South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint.
• “The Colbert Report” – Virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier.
“12 Years a Slave” is Out on DVD and “Catching Fire” is Out on Friday
Here’s what’s new on DVD today:
• “12 Years a Slave“ . . . It just won the Best Picture Oscar and stars Chiwetel Ejiofor and Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong’o.
• “Savannah“ . . . starring Jim Cavaziel from “Person of Interest” as a guy who rejects plantation life to live with his best friend, a freed slave played by Chiwetel Ejiofor.
• “Oldboy“ . . . a disturbing movie starring Josh Brolin as a guy kept prisoner for 20 years and Elizabeth Olsen as the woman who tries to help him figure out why.
• “Cold Comes the Night“ . . . starring Bryan Cranston as a nearly-blind criminal who takes Alice Eve hostage to help him retrieve stolen money from a crooked cop.
• “The Last Days on Mars“ . . . an astronaut thriller starring Liev Schreiber.
• “The Grandmaster“ . . . starring Tony Leung in the life story of Ip Man, the guy who trained Bruce Lee. It also stars “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” minx Ziyi Zhang.
• And on FRIDAY, March 7th, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire“ will be out. The third “Hunger Games” movie, “Mockingjay Part 1″, hits theaters on November 21st.
Here’s what’s new in the past week to Netflix Instant Streaming:
• “Sweetwater“ . . . starring January Jones and her bare bosom as a pioneer woman looking for revenge after Jason Isaacs murders her husband.
• All six seasons of the web series “The Guild“.
• And on FRIDAY, March 7th, Netflix will have “Star Wars: the Clone Wars“. That includes a sixth season that never aired after it got cancelled at the end of Season 5.
And here’s what’s new in video games:
• “South Park: The Stick of Truth“ on the Xbox360 and PS3
New CDs from Lea Michele, Pharrell, Ashanti, and Fuel
• “G I R L”, Pharrell. It includes the Academy Award nominated song “Happy” from “Despicable Me 2″, and guest appearances by Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Kelly Osbourne, Timbaland and Miley Cyrus.
• “Braveheart”, Ashanti. Her guests include Jeremih, French Montana and Rick Ross, who appears on the single “I Got It”.
• “Louder”, the debut album from “Glee” star Lea Michele
• “Puppet Strings”, Fuel. It’s their first album since 2003’s ‘Natural Selection’ with original lead singer Brett Scallions . . . and the first Fuel album not to feature original guitarist Carl Bell and bassist Jeff Abercrombie.
• “Oh What a Life”, the debut album from the indie band American Authors, which you’d probably know from their song “Best Day of My Life“.
• “Dream a Little Dream”, Pink Martini and The Von Trapps, who are actual descendants of the Trapp Family Singers, made famous by “The Sound of Music”. Guests include: Wayne Newton, The Chieftains, and zookeeper Jack Hanna. (???)
• “Mastermind”, Rick Ross. Guests include: Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Diddy and Jeezy.
• “English Oceans”, the 10th album by Drive By Truckers
• “I’m a Fire”, country singer David Nail. Guests include Little Big Town and Lee Ann Womack.
• “10,000 Towns”, Eli Young Band. It includes the single “Drunk Last Night”.
• “Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration” . . . with performances from Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Stevie Wonder, and The Band at Madison Square Garden in 1992. It’s also available on DVD and Blu-ray.
Five Random Facts For Tuesday
1. Six people died in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Seven people have died by falling off of the monument built to commemorate it.
2. The term “soap opera” comes from old dramatic radio shows from the 1920s and 1930s that were sponsored by Procter & Gamble. They would use the shows to plug their soap products.
3. BRIAN MAY from QUEEN has a Ph.D. in astrophysics.
4. The word “egregious” comes from Latin . . . where it meant “exceptionally good.” But people kept using it sarcastically, to the point where the meaning completely evolved and now, it only means “exceptionally bad.”
5. There are 292 ways to make change for a $1 bill . . . and 9.8 trillion ways to make change for a $100 bill.
The 2014 “Forbes” List of the World’s Richest People . . . Six Things You Need to Know
“Forbes” just released its annual list of the world’s RICHEST people. There are now 1,645 billionaires in the world, with a combined net worth of $6.4 trillion. BILL GATES is back to being the richest person in the world, with a net worth of $76 billion.
1. After four years off, BILL GATES is back to being the wealthiest person in the world. Even though he’s TRYING to donate his money, Gates’s net worth went up $9 billion last year to $76 billion.
2. There are now 1,645 billionaires in the world with a combined net worth of $6.4 trillion.
3. There are a record 172 female billionaires on the list. That’s up from 138 last year.
4. MARK ZUCKERBERG had the biggest gain of anyone on the list. His net worth went up $15.2 billion from last year, to $28.5 billion total. He ranks 21st on the list.
5. There are 31 billionaires in the world under age 40.
6. Some of the new billionaires this year are the two guys who founded WhatsApp and just got a $19 billion deal with Facebook . . . Michael Kors . . . Ev Williams, the founder of Twitter . . . and Vince McMahon of the WWE. (Forbes)
What’s the Weirdest Thing You’ve Ever Caught a Coworker Doing?
What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever caught a coworker doing? Some of our favorite answers are a guy who caught a female coworker peeing in a bucket in the janitor’s closet . . . and a chef who caught the food runner practicing salsa dancing on an incredibly busy night.
1. “A coworker had small animal toys that make sounds when you squeeze them. I caught him opening them and switching the sound chips, so he’d have cows that oink and sheep that moo and so on. He’s like a horrible Dr. Moreau.”
2. “I caught a female coworker peeing in a mop bucket in the janitor’s closet. I expected her to say something like, ‘The bathroom was locked,’ but she didn’t. She just got up and walked away like nothing happened.”
3. “I’m a chef. On an incredibly busy night we couldn’t find our food runner. Finally I found him in a back hallway, listening to music from his phone, practicing salsa steps. I said, ‘What the hell, man?’ He said, ‘I just can’t get the rhythm figured out.'”
4. “One of my coworkers was eating tacos when another coworker walked by, picked up one of the little to-go containers of salsa, downed it like a shot, and kept walking.”
5. “When I worked at a grocery store I walked into an office and found a coworker chugging cans of Slim Fast with his pants down around his ankles.”
6. “Working.” (HEY-YO!) (Reddit)
If You Have a Ridiculous First Name, You’re Probably a Democrat?
There’s a website called ClarityCampaigns.com that tells you how many registered voters with your first name are Republicans or Democrats. And apparently if you have a weird name, you’re MUCH more likely to be a Democrat. For example, 86% of people named “God” are Democrats, and so are 81% of people named “Marijuana,” 57% of people named “Porn,” and 77% of people named “Strange.” But 59% of people named “Odd” are Republican.
Short People Are Dumber Than Tall People?
This seems so unfair . . . but according to a new study out of Scotland, short people are LESS INTELLIGENT than tall people. Researchers found that women under 5-foot-3 and men under 5-foot-9 are generally DUMBER than taller people.
A New Study Finds You Should Book a Flight Exactly 54 Days Before Your Trip
A website analyzed prices for four million flights last year, and found the absolute BEST time to buy a domestic plane ticket in the U.S. is . . . exactly 54 days before your flight. Any earlier or later and you’re looking at a higher price.
A Guy Wore the Cologne His Wife Gave Him For Christmas . . . And it Caused a Cat to Attack Him and Send Him to the Hospital?
On Saturday night, a 44-year-old man in England wore the Hugo Boss cologne his wife bought him for Christmas, and went to a friend’s house . . . where their pet cat apparently HATED it. The cat ATTACKED the guy, left a three-inch GASH in his head, and he had to be hospitalized.
(Here are photos of Blue and Ian.)
Woman Takes Out a Newspaper Ad Congratulating Her Husband on His New Baby . . . That He’s Expecting With His Mistress
There’s a great ad from a newspaper in east Texas circulating right now. It’s a message from a woman congratulating her husband on his new baby . . . that he’s expecting with his MISTRESS.
Bobbi Kristina Brown is 21. Daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. Everybody’s worried she’s going down the same road of substance abuse that her mother did. And now that she can legally drink, does she even have a chance?
Joshua Bowman is 26. Daniel Grayson on “Revenge”.
Margo Harshman is 28. Sheldon’s cute assistant Alex on “The Big Bang Theory” . . . who he harassed because of her crush on Leonard. These days she’s playing McGee’s paralyzed girlfriend Delilah on “NCIS”.
Landon Donovan is 32. Arguably the best soccer player ever from the U.S. He’s currently on the L.A. Galaxy in the MLS.
CHAZ Bono is 45. THE sexiest man alive. I don’t give a crap what “People” says!
Patsy Kensit is 46. Minx who Mel Gibson nailed in “Lethal Weapon 2″. Liam Gallagher used to “hit it”. Hard.
Evan Dando is 47. Lead singer of The Lemonheads. Once upon a time, he nailed “Succubus” Courtney Love . . . but then again, who hasn’t?
Jason Newsted is 51. Ex-bassist for Metallica.
Steven Weber is 53. Brian Hackett on “Wings”!
Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini is 53. WBA lightweight champ in the ’80s and “CELEBRITY BOXING” ringside announcer! He killed a guy in the ring, ya know.
Patricia Heaton is 56. Ray’s wife on “Everybody Loves Raymond” . . . then, Kelsey Grammer’s on-air partner on that Fox sitcom nobody watched, “Back To You”. Now she’s the mom on the ABC comedy, “The Middle”.
Mykelti Williamson is 57. Bubba in “Forrest Gump”!
ADRIAN ZMED is 60. “T.J. HOOKER” AND “DANCE FEVER” SUPERSTAR!
CATHERINE O’HARA is 60. The mom in “Beetlejuice” and the “Home Alone” films, AND she was the trampy Cookie in “Best in Show”. She was also in “A Mighty Wind” and “For Your Consideration”.
Paula Prentiss is 76. Mature “Stepford Wives” minx.
(She actually has one of the longest-lasting showbiz marriages on the books. She and actor (slash) director Richard Benjamin have been married since October of 1961. That’s over 50 years!)
Knute Rockne (1888 – 1931) Legendary Notre Dame football coach.
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 5 days to Daylight Savings
• 13 days to St. Patrick’s Day
• 13 days to Dancing with the Stars
• 28 days to April Fool’s Day
• 31 days to “Captain America 2″
• 1,053 days left of “Hope and Change”
137 years ago . . . In 1877, Emile Berliner INVENTED THE MICROPHONE. Alexander Graham Bell’s company produced it, saving Bell from ruin . . . and paving the way for the telephone to be invented. (The two turntables would come later.)
106 years ago . . . In 1908, for some reason, the New York board of education BANNED THE ACT OF WHIPPING STUDENTS in school.
81 years ago . . . In 1933, Franklin D. Roosevelt was inaugurated as the 32nd President. His speech contained the famous quote, “THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF”.
Roosevelt was the last president to be inaugurated in March, the first to have a woman serve in the Cabinet and the ONLY president ever elected to FOUR terms.
62 years ago . . . In 1952, RONALD and NANCY REAGAN were married in San Fernando Valley, California.
40 years ago . . . In 1974, the first issue of “PEOPLE” MAGAZINE hit the newsstands. MIA FARROW was on the cover.
24 years ago . . . In 1990, Loyola Marymount University basketball star, and the nation’s leading scorer, HANK GATHERS, died after collapsing on the court during a game. He had begun easing his heart medication dosages because he said it was sapping his strength.
20 years ago . . . In 1994, four extremists were convicted in the WORLD TRADE CENTER bombing in which six people were killed and more than a thousand were injured.
20 years ago . . . In 1994, JOHN CANDY died of a heart attack. He was only 43. But nicely chubby.
18 years ago . . . In 1996, Country legend MINNIE PEARL died of a stroke at the age of 83. I believe they just took the tag off her hat and placed it around her big toe. (No YOU shut up! Minnie Pearl was a comedy legend! She would have LOVED that!)
16 years ago . . . In 1998, the Supreme Court ruled that SEXUAL HARASSMENT at work can be illegal even when the offender and victim are of the SAME DELICIOUSLY GAY GENDER.
13 years ago . . . In 2001, GLENN HUGHES, the biker from the VILLAGE PEOPLE, died of lung cancer at the age of 50. He was buried in his GAY LEATHERMAN outfit!
Nine years ago . . . In 2005, MARTHA STEWART stopped being CAGED HEAT when she bolted from Camp Cupcake . . . more formally known as the Alderson Federal Prison Camp . . . just 30 minutes past the stroke of MIDNIGHT after serving five months in prison.