Man Applies Sunscreen, Bursts into Flames
Sunscreen is supposed to protect against burns, but it had the exact opposite effect on a Massachusetts man when a layer of applied lotion was ignited by a hot grill and burst into flames. That’s gonna be one heck of a sunburn.
According to reports, Brett Sigworth had just used Banana Boat sunscreen during a cookout and was tending to his charcoal grill when he suddenly burst into flames. He sustained second-degree burns to his chest, ear and back.
“I went into complete panic mode and screamed,” Sigworth said. “I’ve never experienced pain like that in my life.”
A warning on the sunscreen states that it’s flammable and should not be used near heat or flame, but it doesn’t specifically mention any dangers once the lotion is applied. (Call us crazy, but the mere notion of a sunscreen that catches fire under any circumstances seems counter-intuitive, doesn’t it?)
In an official statement, Banana Boat expressed regret and said they would promptly investigate the incident. “We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously,” the statement said.
Sigworth, meanwhile, said he has no plans to sue, but he would like to see Banana Boat offer more detailed warnings. “I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin, people wouldn’t use it,” he said. Yeah, we’ll just risk the skin cancer, thanks.