Now That Winter’s Over (Almost), Prepare For the Next Season In Michigan: Road Construction
As the old joke goes, there are two seasons in Michigan: winter and road construction.
The Michigan Department of Transportation has released a comprehensive list of where the orange barrels will be blooming this spring and summer in the Grand Rapids area.
MDOT has released its map of road construction for 2014, and the main projects that will affect your commute include a repaving of Lake Michigan Drive (M-45) from Grand Rapids to Walker and the Ottawa County line starting in May and a repaving of the potholes on the U.S. 131 bridges in downtown Grand Rapids.
Where the orange barrels will be this summer and fall:
- M-37: August-October.: Resurface 1.5 miles from 3 Mile Road to Alpenhorn Drive, with single-lane closures and night work only.
- M-44 and M-44 Connector: June-August. Resurface 4.3 miles from Airway Street to Belding road; with single-lane closures and night work only.
- M-45: May-June. Resurface 3.8 miles from Ottawa/Kent county line to I-196. Up to 2 lanes closed.
- I-196: September-October. Repair and resurface nine bridges from M-11 to Butterworth Street, eastbound bridge over Conrail Railroad. Weekend single-lane closures.
- U.S. 131:July-August. Repair and resurface the following bridges:southbound over Bridge Street, Market Avenue and the Grand River; northbound and southbound over Grandville Avenue.Single-lane and ramp closures.
- I-196 and Old M-45 (Fulton Street): March-August. Repair and resurface bridges over the Grand River. Traffic shifts.
- I-196: July-September. Extend guardrail 0.7 miles from Chicago Drive to Market Avenue. Install cable median barrier 2.1 miles from Market Avenue to Butterworth Street. Single-lane and shoulder closures.
- I-196: Fall. Repair and resurface eastbound bridge over 22nd Avenue. Single-lane closures.
- M-37: July-August. Resurface 0.8 miles from 29th Street toLake Eastbrook Boulevard. Up to two lanes closed at night.
- I-96: July-August. Resurface 3 miles from Cascade Road to M-11. Single-lane closures; night work only.
- M-37: July-September. Repair concrete pavement 2.1 miles from60th St to 44th St. Single-lane closures; night work only.
Don’t you wish you were the one that invented the orange construction barrel? You’d be on the beach knocking back some margaritas right now.