Lane and Ramp Closures Begin Monday On US-131 And I-196
A planned bridge maintenance project will affect just about all of those who drive on both US-131 and I-196 near downtown Grand Rapids beginning July 7.
Six bridges on US-131 and will get repairs in a about six weeks of intensive work.
There are quite a few things about this project that you should be aware of:
- The left lane from Leonard Street will be an exit-only lane to eastbound I-196. Through traffic needs to stay in the right two lanes.
- Two lanes will be open during the day, but at night, traffic to be reduced to one lane.
- The northbound lanes will be affected the least during this project. There will be lane closures from Wealthy Street to Market Avenue.
- The ramps from eastbound I-196 and westbound I-196 to southbound US-131 will be closed for the duration of the project.
- The posted detour will take motorists to US-131 north to the Ann Street Exit. Motorists will then need to exit, and take US-131 southbound.
- Unfortunately, that puts motorists back on US-131 right in the middle of the southbound lane closures.
There will be additional weekend ramp closures that MDOT will announce as they become necessary.
The bridges that will be repaired are: southbound US-131 over Bridge Street, over the Grand River, and over Market Avenue; the bridges that carry the ramps from northbound US-131 to eastbound I-196, westbound I-196 to southbound US-131, and the bridge that carries northbound US-131 from Wealthy Street to Market Avenue.
This project begins Monday, July 7, and should be finished by the end of August.