5 Facts You Didn’t Know About Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is this Sunday. However, most of us don’t really know what we’re celebrating. Here are some facts that you can bust out.
- Don’t get it twisted. Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day. That’s all the way in September on the 16th.
- Cinco de Mayo actually celebrates a Mexican victory over France. In 1861 Mexico owed a bunch of money to a ton of European countries. France was getting sick of not getting their money so they invaded. Mexico won and at that point the French hadn’t been beat in 50 years!
- It’s actually more popular in the US than it is in Mexico.
- It’s also popular in the Country of Malta which is right beneath Italy. They love Corona there, so it makes sense (kind of).
- In Arizona they celebrate with Chihuahua dog races.